Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
do you have any idea how many lumens a 250W MH bulb puts out?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's not true, who ever told you this or were ever your getting your information from is a dumb a**. A 150w MH will mabey put out 850Lums. But a 400w MH will be closer around 3000-3600Lums, no 40,000. This is what happens when one gets all there information from the Internet, from someone that does not know there own stuff. Mr X did you make that graph yourself in paint? One would figure, 40,000Lums on a 400w MH. LOL, nice joke.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Metal Halide
HTG Supply - FAQs
400 Watt Metal Halide Bulb - Universal - BT37
Value 400 Watt Metal Halide Lamp - Mogul Base : Grow Light Supply
all of these website are lying? i think it's the other way around. YOU were the one who was misinformed.
Sorry you got screwed on those LED fixtures.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

All these website are lying? **** ya, it's people like yourself who fall for all this bs on the Internet. Then go around and buy it. It's to sell the product. Why would you buy a MH buld from a LFS, when you can get one better online. Check again, they probley don't even put out half the lums, nor are they as good for corals. It's prob the same as a 150w or 250w MH, around 1200 Lums and up. No 40,000. They can put this bs on the internet, because it's not the same product, and you don't know what it looks like intel you get it. That's it. Over all I would rather have my LED REEF lights then your over heating MH.

i think it's the other way around. YOU were the one who was misinformed.
Sorry you got screwed on those LED fixture
Old 07-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

[QUOTE="ENTER_NAME"]All these website are lying? **** ya, it's people like yourself who fall for all this bs on the Internet. Then go around and buy it. It's to sell the product. Why would you buy a MH buld from a LFS, when you can get one better online. Check again, they probley don't even put out half the lums, nor are they as good for corals. It's prob the same as a 150w or 250w MH, around 1200 Lums and up. No 40,000. They can put this bs on the internet, because it's not the same product, and you don't know what it looks like intel you get it. That's it. Over all I would rather have my LED REEF lights then your over heating MH.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok. well then, show me the data that disproves all of the websites i posted. BTW, there is a thing called FRAUD, and FALSE ADVERTISING which are actually crimes. People stating that their product performs 20 x what it really does are guilty of this and are able to be prosecuted. Do you think companies like General electric, Sylvania, and Phillips would be willing to risk this for a few dollars?

Do you think it's possible that the people who sold you these fixtures could have lied to you?
Do you think this could be just information, posted to help folks who are considering reef lighting, and not a personal attack on you?

*edit* I've used lux meters on various lighting fixtures and have found the above data to be correct, just FYI.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

These light bulbs from General electric, Sylvania, and Phillips are not true saltwater light bulbs sold in LFS. There for the K, is more likely a standard 67k not a 10k. This is were our confusion could be. I am thinking of a standard 10k saltwater light buld, compared to the 67k you are talking about. There diffrenet spectrums, there for the output of light is diffrent of an avarage 10k bulb, that I use.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

the color temperature is not going to effect the lumen output that drastically.
it doesn't matter if they are sold in a pet store or home depot.
i'm still waiting for the data disproving my facts.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:38 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

I did. The 67k, compared to my 10k bulb will produce different lums, because there diffrenet spectrums. Yes it does matter. One that's made for fish/corals and the other being the 67k lighting the outside of your house. There's a reason why 67k MH bulbs are not used in alot of saltwater tanks, because they help in algae growth.

Tags
led, light, lights, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com