Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

LED Reef Lights

Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm wondering what everyones thoughts are on led reef lights and whether or not they can sustain coral growth? I've been looking into building my own, but it's a big investment without knowing whether or not it will work, so if anyone has tried LEDs or knows anything about their ability in the reef system please let me know.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

LED is the Best choice IMO because it gives off low heat and lots of light. I would say about 3 watts per gallon for LPS, zoos, leathers, mushrooms, polyps, and basically most corals. But I'd say 4 watts per gallon for SPS and Clams. I'd recommend checking the PAR on the fixture though. Anyway that's just my opinion. Hope that it helped.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah it helps! I'm looking to build my own fixture though. I'm looking at using the Cree XR-E LEDs, it should be much cheaper than buying a fixture.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do some searches for Ecoxotic panorama LEDs, I have them and love em. With LEDs, watts per gallon means nothing. If it did, none of my sps should be growing. Just do a search, I'm a true believer in them.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

LED Light Review; TMC XG 1500, Maxspect, Double Bright, Blue Moon;*More | Aquarium Article Digest
LED Aquarium Light; AquaRay AquaBeam, GroBeam Cree XR, XG Emitter; PAR 38 & Rio Mini Sun Lights

currently looking into LED's myself. *note they mention exocotix leds, not good review, although I have no personal experience with them
Old 07-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah I've seen those reviews as well. Just keep in mind, American aquarium is the main distributor here in the US for aquaray and I've called their customer support, and if you grill the guy, he really, just repeats the aquabeam specs. I couldn't get a straight answer out of him. Also, I personally know someone how as a 75 gallon tank with aquabeam 600's, four of them, and he's not very impressed. Four is the recommended amount by American aquarium. I do know someone else who does love the aquabeam 1000 though, it's a little different of a comparison. On the other hand, I've had my Ecoxotic panoramas for around a year, and I'm very happy and impressed. Couldn't be happier. And trust me, if I wasn't, I would be the first to scream and squeal to everyone everywhere. Especially for the price. Just my experience, but I would love to hear other's experiences since LEDs are rapidly evolving.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmmm will definitely look into purchasing the aquabeam's as well then. I will also look into ecoxotic again
Old 07-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love DIYs. And if you are looking to build one yourself without soldering much, go to here http://www.creativelightings.com/mob...ult.aspx#C1056 they have led pucks that come in strings of 20 but they do custom jobs so you could do 30. And each one is about 2.60. I'd get 13 white and 17 blue then you can hook them up on 1 12 DC power sources for 15. So that would be a total of $93. Cheap huh? Then you can Mount them on a cheap light fixtures which aquatraders.com sells. You can get one for under 50 with shipping so there's a cheap LED fixture for under 150. And each LED puck is about 3w so that's 90w. That should be great for a 55.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have LED Reef lights, and i love them! I have a 48" and a 36" marineland reef light on my 75Gal, and my corals due better under them, then my old 4HO T5, and 2LO T5. My marineland LED REEF lights togeather put out a total of 6,000 Lums. Better then MH's, and 6T5's. And I never have to change a buld out.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
that's not true at all. A single 400 watt halide puts out 40,000 lumens, and a single high output t5 lamp puts out 5000.
here is a graph to chew on:

Not all LED fixtures can support corals, even though they say they can.
i have heard good things about the aqua illuminations SOL fixtures.

Tags
led, light, lights, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com