Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
LED Reef Lights

I would appreciate some opinions/reviews/personal experience on a couple LED reef lighting systems that I'm interested in. My tank is finished cycling. Putting corals in is months down the road, but I want to go ahead and get the reef lighting system. I'm not interested in DIY LED lighting, any hanging LED lighting systems, and I'm doing this on a budget so I don't need any $500 lighting system recommendations. I understand that there are limitations to LED reef lighting at the present time, and I'm only interested in growing mushrooms, soft corals, polyps, and other low lighting corals.
The two systems I keep coming back to are the FLUVAL Sea Marine LED lighting system and the Current USA Orbit Marine LED Reef lighting system. I'm more familiar with the FLUVAL brand, but a friend swears by the Current lighting.
I'm afraid to consider purchasing the Marineland Reef Capable lighting system because of poor reviews of reliability.

Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef Lighting System: Aquarium LED Light Fixtures
Website containing PAR values:

Fluval PAR values (towards bottom):
Product Review: Hagen Fluval Sea LED Light - reefs.com

bamadude91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
What size tank? How deep is it? And what corals do you foresee that you will want to add? Very very important questions when dealing with both those options.

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Tank is 29 gallons, so I believe that's 18" if I'm remembering correctly. As far as what corals, I'm not entirely sure. I definitely would like some mushrooms. Plate coral, candy cane coral, trumpet coral, frogspawn, and bubble coral look cool. According to live aquaria, a number of those don't require intense lighting and are listed as "moderate". If these aren't options, what are some corals you'd recommend?
bamadude91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I have the Current USA orbit fixture, it's a pretty slick fixture. I don't have and corals under it yet- I actually want to try soon. Supposedly from all of the reviews I've read, people are easily keeping many soft corals and some LPS alive under the fixture. One guy even had a bubble tip anemone 16" from the surface thriving for a while now.

While I don't have experience growing corals under it, I think it's a great fixture for the money and comes with some cool features. If you're looking into mainly LPS and some demanding SPS though, this isn't what you want
George9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have upgraded 3 times now! The orbit was number 2, i don't think it is a good idea to limit yourself to Lps and softies before you get your first coral! The challenge of corals is to me the most intriguing part of running a reef! Please don't limit yourself with lighting!
nelix10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:49 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Tao 120 watt dimmable fixture? Cheap and grow anything

Darylb is offline   Reply With Quote

led, light, lights, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com