LED vs LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
i'm thinking of going to replace my quad T5HO with 1 LED for my regular 29gal reef tank. since i'm new to the LED realm but would like to keep some acro like red dragon and rose milli, what are some good eBay LEDs out there? my budget is preferably under $150. If i must, i can go for up to $250. the fixture has to be dimmable and hopefully with some sort of timer or programming capability. can someone just guide me through this process?

i came across these two and can't tell the difference other than the wattage.
Evergrow Dimmable Full Spectrum D120 120W LED Light for Reef Saltwater Aquarium | eBay
vs
Dimmable 165W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum UV Tank Reef Coral Marine Grow | eBay

am not familiar with those two brands but I have both the TaoTronics and value reefbreeders on my tank but they are not the ones that have the timers on them.
Mine are dimmable though and went to home depot and bought those timers to hook the lights up to.
These are the ones I have on my tank:
reefbreeders
and
TaoTronics® TT-AL09 165w Dimmable Led Aquarium Lights Aquarium Hoods Led Reef Light for Coral Fish Seaweed (55*3w, Blue/White Ratio- 28:27; Two-Year Warranty) - Amazon.com

I think the one for TaoTronics that are dimmable/programmable are out of stock but here is the link to the ones for Reefbreeders:

reefbreeders

or you could go with the Photon 16

reefbreeders

There are alot of people on here using the taotronic dimmables. I have two units over my 90, very bright you should be able to keep anything you like with them.

There are alot of people on here using the taotronic dimmables. I have two units over my 90, very bright you should be able to keep anything you like with them.

is the ability to program worth the extra $100? regular taotronic is only around $160 but the programmable one is really over my budget. but if it's worth it, I will suck up the cost one way or the other. I do have 2 timers by coralife

I just use two timers one turns on and off the blues the other turns on and off the whites

This is killing my brain cells. what's the difference between photon24 and photon16? photon24 has fewer LEDs but is more expensive than photon16. and 90 degrees optics are better than 120 degree because it focuses the light better correct?

This is what I'm currently using

TaoTronics® TT-AL16 120w Dimmable Timmer Led Aquarium Light Coral Reef Tank Light with Moonlights,Dimmable with Inner Digital Timer, Optical lens in High Par Value (Dimmable and Timmer)
http://amzn.com/B00COG41H6

Here...cheap and effective. Buy 2 timers from walmart.

New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light Black Shell | eBay

Optics are for deep tanks. You are fine with 120 degree.

Doug, do you know anything about this? it looks a lot like the reefbreeder LED. the only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger for the unit you suggested is the timer or the lack of. the place where i'm going to hang it doesn't have enough space and the outlets for everything else.
24" Dimmable Dusk Dawn Timer Saltwater Coral Tank LED Aquarium Light Fixture | eBay

This is what I'm currently using

TaoTronics® TT-AL16 120w Dimmable Timmer Led Aquarium Light Coral Reef Tank Light with Moonlights,Dimmable with Inner Digital Timer, Optical lens in High Par Value (Dimmable and Timmer)
TaoTronics® TT-AL16 120w Dimmable Timmer Led Aquarium Light Coral Reef Tank Light with Moonlights, Dimmable with Inner Digital Timer, Optical lens in High Par Value (Dimmable and Timmer) - Amazon.com

good find. i was looking at it early on Amazon but couldn't find the one with the timer. how's the coral color and growth with this unit? any issues with the timer mal-functioning or the LED burning out early?

I've only had them a few months, no burn outs so far timer works great with three possible on/off sequences for each color and night lights my only complaint could be that the night lights are not dimmable and it uses three LEDs which in my opinion was to bright to be considered a nightlight so I set them up as dawn/dusk lights instead everything in the tank from mushrooms and zoas to my dented brain are all doin excellent, my whites are currently at @ 50% and blues are @ 75%

I forgot to mention if you don't want to use the night lights they have their own on/off switch on top of the units and each unit uses only one electrical outlet and in the event of a power outage or being unplugged the timer has your settings saved so there's no need to reprogram the lights

Doug, do you know anything about this? it looks a lot like the reefbreeder LED. the only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger for the unit you suggested is the timer or the lack of. the place where i'm going to hang it doesn't have enough space and the outlets for everything else.
24" Dimmable Dusk Dawn Timer Saltwater Coral Tank LED Aquarium Light Fixture | eBay

Unit looks very nice but looks like you have to bid on this item. That would be the only drawback for me.

Is there a thread/site that compares all LED lights available; sort of a big spreadsheet?

so i was asking what this seller meant by "90/120 mixed" view angle of LEDs and if he/she knows which ones are 90 and which ones are 120, the exact response was "[FONT=arial,sans-serif]We just can make lens as 60degree. [/FONT]". can someone decipher what the seller is trying to say? or is the fixture actually 60degree optics?

165W LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum Dimmerable Reef Marine Coral LPS SPS Lamp | eBay

the degrees are the focus of the light 60 would be a narrower beam then 90 or 120. 120 would be a wide beam. Wider beams would be used for shallower tanks 90 or 60 would be used for deeper tanks to concentrate the light more. I think most fixtures are of the 90 degree angle.

Back
Top Bottom