LED vs T5ho

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrazil230

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm finally upgrading my tank lighting from the dual hood 15watt fluorescent lights that came with the tank but I'm not sure what to get, I like that you can customize the t5s but I've heard they run hot and I know bulbs can get expensive so which way should I go?

T5HO always do well for my tank but it still depends on what size of your tank and what plants do you have in there...

I have a deep tank 28 inches or so guessing, but I hve 4 ft flouros and they don't penetrate we'll I can get that pristine white clear blue look, I hear LEDs if u buy nice lights penetrate deeper tanks with crisper light

I think some of is preference. If you look in my album you'll see my tank under 4 t5 HO bulbs and then the marineland double brights. I happen to like the LEDs better BUT you will get a "spotlight" effect sometimes.

image-3740520489.jpg

I've currently have a 55gal mbuna tank that I'll be upgrading to a 75 as soon as I get my new hood built but I guess I can always get 1 and try it out then if I don't like it I could probably swap it out for the other

I've currently have a 55gal mbuna tank that I'll be upgrading to a 75 as soon as I get my new hood built but I guess I can always get 1 and try it out then if I don't like it I could probably swap it out for the other

Yea my thing is always this.

Buy it, try it, don't like it?, return it... On to the next. I've gone through a few fixtures lol. It's always something with me though. Wife loves it.

I picked up an aqueon modular led light yesterday, I'm not exactly sure how I like it yet, the shimmering definitely takes a bit to get used to. And why does leds shimmer but fluorescent lights don't?

I picked up an aqueon modular led light yesterday, I'm not exactly sure how I like it yet, the shimmering definitely takes a bit to get used to. And why does leds shimmer but fluorescent lights don't?

I think LEDs (and MH and incandescent lights) create a shimmer effect because light is emitted from concise, focal points as opposed to fluorescent light which is diffuse and spread out over the length of the bulb.

Back
Top Bottom