Leds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bigben2057 said:
Ive seen the site haven't joined yet though. As for the lights im not all that experienced in LEDS yet but im thinking the 3 watt 20 bulb would be the best fit. That would be 4.3 watts a gallon which is pretty dam good.

Yeah, Good point. I am just worried about cooking the coral, haha. LVVR has lots of food coral deals, just FYI

Interested to find out who else runs LEDs over there 10-15g nanos. Would like to know how high there lights are off the water, more importantly, how many LEDs of the 3w nature they have.

carey said:
Have you considered a par38 bulb? They screw right into a regular lamp socket. I had two of them over my 20g and it looked pretty nice. :)

here is an example of what I'm talking about

Orphek PR-25 (12 LEDs) Dimmable LED Pendants

You can find cheaper options on eBay and ones that aren't dimmable are cheaper as well.
I was in the same boat when i first set up my 4g and then again with my 20g where i didn't wanna drop $300+ on a fixture. The single par38 over my 4g was a bit too much so two might work for you.

Good luck!

Carey are you talking about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Dimmable-Powe...790156&sr=8-10&keywords=120+watt+aquarium+led

carey said:
Yep, I was eyeing that one myself on amazon when i needed one. lol Here is another link that has the mount as well

PAR30 Reef Lamp Kit by BoostLED

They were out of stock when I was looking to buy or I would have gotten that one. lol

If i were to buy the light off eBay for my 55, would one be good enough? Or will I need two? Also is there a reason why it's pretty cheap? Would this be good enough to keep an anemone? Idk how strong it is, I just see "can keep sps" on the description

Jake337 said:
If i were to buy the light off eBay for my 55, would one be good enough? Or will I need two? Also is there a reason why it's pretty cheap? Would this be good enough to keep an anemone? Idk how strong it is, I just see "can keep sps" on the description

I just went threw 15 different reviews. A 55g would require 6-8 of these lights. They are lensed and the path of the light is linear. It says there are people that keep anemones with this light, but again, they have a good collection of the bulbs. I just ordered two for my 14g frag tank. They are not Cree LEDs, and are 12x1w LEDs.

Thank you everyone for the pointers. I needed up not only getting these bulbs, but also prefer a 6x3w fixture from aqua trader. I will write up a review on both after a little while of receiving them. I will be testing them on my deep water zoanthids, a red planet acro, birdsnest, and a green torch.

Jlsardina said:
General rule of thumb is 3-5 w per gallon.

I found that lensed LEDs are an exception to the rule. They are focused to give a higher output in deeper depths. The reason I started this thread is because I keep frying corals by following the 3-5w rule. I found par to be the unit of measurement.

Readingexcalibur said:
I found that lensed LEDs are an exception to the rule. They are focused to give a higher output in deeper depths. The reason I started this thread is because I keep frying corals by following the 3-5w rule. I found par to be the unit of measurement.

I will second that.

jsmith said:
I will second that.

Watts per gallon is a general rule with compacts or metal halides this does not apply to leds because their par rating is much higher at lower watts i do agree tho that par is the best way to measure light requirements with any lighting

Back
Top Bottom