LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

Would 5 LEDs be fine for my aquarium? here are the LEDs I have:
www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53270

Here is the look of my aquarium:
PICT0687.sized.jpg

This is not concerning the LED's, but is that an airstone in there? Reason I'm asking is a couple of weeks ago a couple of people here told me not to use airstones because is not good for the live rock. Can't remember the real reason though...

By the way, your tank looks awesome man :D

Thats an old pic. Thats just after my cycle a couple months ago.

I took the airstone out, I guess I should take an updated pic later.

That little fake plant is pretty much coated with algea now too :)

Well Im hoping to get the LEDs in there and THEN take pics :)

LEDs would look great in your tank. 5 might be really bright though. I have (2) 1 watt Coralife LED lights, and they're really bright at night. Almost too bright...

Brodie said:
LEDs would look great in your tank. 5 might be really bright though. I have (2) 1 watt Coralife LED lights, and they're really bright at night. Almost too bright...

I have 4 in my 55 and it is bright!! I'm surprised the fish are still able to 'sleep'. 8O

I have 24 in mine. Did you wire them yourself? If so you need a resistor on them or they will not last long. That may be why yours are so bright

Check these LED lights out.... Top of the line great quality and very easy to hook up.

http://autolumination.com/fixtures.htm

scroll down the page. Guys in the club I belong to have used these for a while now with no issues. I have 5 of the triple lights on my 125 and the light is just right.
I would think that one of the triple would work on your tank.
If you have a old transformer laying around from like a cordless phone that will work to power these up.
I just picked up 5 more and I will be putting 3 on my 55 and 1 on the 20 gal fuge.

Only question I would have is what wave length those led's are. The closer to 430 nm the better from the literature I browsed through when I built my moonlights. I put mine on a timer to where they blink at such a rate they look constant. But those light setups would work great. I have 8 led's on a 180 gallon.

I have 10 LED's on my 80 gallon tank. They are the same ones that Rob used in that DIY article and they are beautiful and not too bright. 4 or 5 would be perfect on that atnk of yours. I wouldn't go more though. If you do order the same kit that Rob used, then they do come with resistors. You just solder them in.

Actually I spent $15 total for 8 of these, transformer included.

I already paid for them so they will have to work.

You might want to consider not using all 8, and only using 4 or 5. That would be a little bright. You can always save the others for another project, or as replacement lights.

Back
Top Bottom