LEDs for Coraline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jej34

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking to buy a light for my 72 gallon bow front Right now it only has a 48" 40 watt single tube.
I just bought live rock that is COVERED with Purple Coraline. I don't want to lose that.
I see these led setups at the LFS with moon lighting etc...
Are thes sufficient or is there different led fixtures needed?

Thanks

This thread may help with lighting choice.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...r-your-buck-239661.html?highlight=reef+lights
And I hope this helps with keeping it going!
How to promote Coralline Growth - Reef Central Online Community
My coralline is growing like mushrooms on the side of trees!
I call it plating?Looks like this pic.
img_3226542_0_4d04e9b3383b5ee3ee657e1d4495ec21.jpg

Thanks for the reply. My tank is a fowlr and I see a lot of comments that the standard 40 watt chepo unit that I have is fine and in fact, more light than that can reduce Coraline growth.
I see tes 120.00 units at places like petsmart that are led with timer for moon light etc. I'm thinking for my setup, this should work? If I go corals, that's a new ball game.

Your thoughts?
Thanks again.

A curly-q energy saver bulb can grow coralline just fine. Any light will work, and blasting it with intense light can also make it die back. Those current saltwater fixtures have a lot of functionality and aren't super strong, in power or price. Good for your application IMO, and also for lower light corals.
Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef Lighting System: Aquarium LED Light Fixtures

-That plating coralline is a different type than the encrusting kind. Both are very nice.

Back
Top Bottom