Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm don't think growth is a problem, but color. Thats why I'm thinking of increasing my color spectrum in hope that it will get the most color out of my sps.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #12

With my Radions I can adjust the color spectrum in artificial mode. But I get where ur cummin fm. I think ur corals have the color fm the available light. But for u to b able to see the colors u will have to adjust the lighting to view these colors. That's understandable. My lighting casts a bluish tint. It's not nearly as noticeable to the naked eye. But taking pictures is impossible because everything is so blue

Old 05-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, I didn't know radions had that feature. I think what I'm going to do is get a 16" heat sink and attach 4 Uvs and the rest cyan red green and maybe 2 blues ( my light only has royal blue)
Old 05-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #14
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabs View Post
With my Radions I can adjust the color spectrum in artificial mode. But I get where ur cummin fm. I think ur corals have the color fm the available light. But for u to b able to see the colors u will have to adjust the lighting to view these colors. That's understandable. My lighting casts a bluish tint. It's not nearly as noticeable to the naked eye. But taking pictures is impossible because everything is so blue
That is a very good description of what happens when you are looking at the corals colors. They basically reflect the tanks light back at you. Take your most colorful coral outside under the sunlight and it will look like a different coral. Or look down at the corals from above and they will look different. It's all in how the available light reflects off them.

As far as the blue look when taking pics, if your camera has an adjustable white balance feature, set up a custom white balance. This is a trick I learned from Gary Parr (gparr.com) at a presentation he gave. Take a white styrofoam plate, put it in the tank at about a 45į angle and set your white balance to the plate. The camera will interpret the colors on the white plate as what white should look like and it will kill the overly blue look on your pics.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, I'll definitely use the plate trick next time.

So why do corals Fluoresce under actinics?
Old 05-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #16

I only have my IPhone and a rather inexpensive digital camera. The digital might have this feature but if not, I'm not sweating it. Thanks for the info though
Old 05-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ive seen great results from both halides and leds. Comparing them isnt not simple. Leds can produce more wavelengths, normally why you will see increased color under leds. Many leds are not as powerful as a halide for example a 250w halide compared to a marineland reef capable fixture etc. halides come in standard wattages 150, 250, 400 etc. many leds either are way under these standards or way over. Producing different result obviously. Getting a model led that goes way over and has dimmable feature will allow you to get same growth rates if not better than halides. Leds are moving fast and there is no standard yet that is followed. A par meter will help you adjust. Im going to be doing a lot more with leds
Old 05-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Like has been stated, comparing LEDs and MH is like comparing old school muscle cars and todays turbo charged rice burners. They are both cars and both can do some incredible things, just a different way of going about it. LEDs do what MH does without the heat. The tech is still advancing, but is doing so quickly with how cheap the price of pieces and equipment has been. MH will probably never go away and many will still continue to use them into the future even as LED tech continues to advance. Same as taking a 68 mustang out for a spin on warm summer days. It would be really neat to see some hybrid action out of these two technologies though to see if there can be a meeting for the best of both worlds. A lower watt MH to keep heat down backed up by some LEDs would def be an interesting trial for somewhere down the road.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #19

The reason I went with the LED's to begin with was because the heat issue. Not to mention the electric bill. In the summer when the Air is running, seems like a no brainer. The air and halides fighting each other. I'll admit, getting my money back on the initial cost of the Radions will take some time thru the savings in electric as well as bulb changes but I have no regrets. With all the available features as well as EcoTechs occasional program upgrades, seems these more expensive lights r the only way to go. I'm not saying Radions r the best. I know of at least 1 system that is equal if not better than what I have
Old 05-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #20
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That reminds me to update my software. I've been wanting to fiddle with my lighting some too by moving it into artificial mode rather than natural.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, metal, sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com