Legs on Lights or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiko

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just upgraded my lights to a Coralife Aqualight Double Strip Light (48").

The lights did not come with legs. At the moment the lights are resting on the tank.

Should I buy the legs, do they make an appreciable difference in temperature? Please keep in mind I live in an area with a year round tropical climate, and any temperature reduction is important.

Thanks!

i would believe that it would bring the temp down a decent amount because less heat is being transferred directly to the tank and the water in the tank since more of it is being transferred to the air.

lando, you don't advocate a top ?

I was just wondering because I have the same thing... I have my fixtures on legs over a glass top, but its a pain to feed it...

I run them sitting right on the top with no glass, and I have no temp problems! :wink:

You will have to clean the salt off every so often. :D

I would recommend getting the legs that can swivle the fixture to 90 degrees- it just seems more convenient in the long run if I need to get my hands in the tank. It costs a few more dollars but it was well worth it.

In terms of heat I had no problem. Light was on the glass top and I had the temp at 78. Raised the lights and had to temp difference.

The only thing that changed was my evaporation rate- just need to top off everyday instead of every other day but its no big deal for me.

lando, you don't advocate a top ?
Correct. Going "topless" allows for better gas exchange between the tank and the air. It will also help in keeping temp down. The biggest benefit for me is that I get a lot better light penetration into my tank. My corals love me for it. Glass tops themselves and the salt creep they collect can really decrease the amount of light into the tank. Evaporation rate will be higher so FW topp-offs will need to be done more, but this is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom