Let's talk filtration, canopies, lights, and backgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCATHED

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all! I will be setting up a 75 gallon Cichlid tank in the near future and have a few questions.

1. Can you use a canister filter(s) when you have a 3D background like the ones from AquaDecor without having an overflow in your tank?

2. How do you use a canister filter in conjunction with a wooden canopy? Just cut some holes to feed your filter tubes through?

3. What about lights when using a wooden canopy? Does the canopy just sit on top of the tank and you leave the aquarium hood and lights where they are?

4. Does anyone know where to purchase wooden canopies (black)?

I have no experience with wooden canopies on a tank but I love the way they look. Thanks in advance!

I don't use canisters but can't see why they wouldn't work withmost 3d backgrounds?
Not familiar with aqaudecor.
I have wood canopies on 3 of my tanks.
2 of my tanks I have suspended the lights and /or rest them on my versa tops(glass lid).The other I have my lights resting on the rim of canopy which measure the same as tank rim.
I built 2 of mine and one is an All Glass Aquarium(AGA) now owned by aqueon .
All wood canopies I have seen or built are open backed so any filter,wire ...... will work out fine.

Here's one I built for my 180g
99907-albums14345-picture69296.jpg

Hey all! I will be setting up a 75 gallon Cichlid tank in the near future and have a few questions.

1. Can you use a canister filter(s) when you have a 3D background like the ones from AquaDecor without having an overflow in your tank?

2. How do you use a canister filter in conjunction with a wooden canopy? Just cut some holes to feed your filter tubes through?

3. What about lights when using a wooden canopy? Does the canopy just sit on top of the tank and you leave the aquarium hood and lights where they are?

4. Does anyone know where to purchase wooden canopies (black)?

I have no experience with wooden canopies on a tank but I love the way they look. Thanks in advance!

1. Not sure on.

2. I had to cut spaces at the back of my wood canopy. Then I just varnished that.

3. I used to do that but the lights can get hot. You can get fans but I gave up and took the canopy off.

I found a basic LED light could sit under the canopy and didn't get too hot. Also I found the canopy restricted the choice of lights eg height and length - perhaps canopies that have a lighting system built in would be worth checking out (if you can find any in area).

Thanks for the replies! I think i'll forget the 3d background idea and just paint the back of the aquarium black.

I love the look of a canopy on top of the tank, gives it a nice polished look (looks good coralbandit!).

I have a marineland tank with a "majesty" marineland stand from PetSmart. I noticed on Marineland's website that they do carry a wooden canopy that matches the stand, but you can't order it from that website. Do you think PetSmart would be able to order the canopy for me since they carry Marineland products?

Wow - CBs looks very nice!

My canopy came with the tank and from memory is a third of a foot high or so.

I rested lights on the tank (with Perspex / glass covers to stop evaporation) and had to measure light length carefully to fit inside canopy cover.

To be honest above the doors is a separate piece(first canopy but too low and tight).
It opens from the top...
It helps can build it yourself.
Pretty handy for old guy(he pats himself on back).
Built the 'carcass' with the doors and love it!
There is a window in my canopy it is so tall now!

Before (Tank with Tang cichlids).
99907-albums14345-picture68739.jpg

And after
99907-albums14345-picture68741.jpg

This is the AGA stand and canopy;
99907-albums14345-picture68743.jpg

Wow. They look really great. What does set up run for a tank like the middle one. How about that maintenance?

Thank you !
Tank is 30+ years of :whistle:
I built it all so it is priceless to me?

As for maint....
180 gallon tank with sump in basement.Marineland model 4 with 29 g water bridged.
Water is pumped out model4
pumped in 29g.....
33% wc done with prepared water in under 10 mins.
Semi auto....
Pump out(he flipsswitch:whistle:)pump is always in sump.
Fill(he places hose from pump in 32 g barrel in sump:facepalm:)
I have 4@32g on wheels and 1@42 g water prep within 10' of sump...

Sump ,and usual mess.....
99907-albums14345-picture69017.jpg

I meant how much would it cost to set that up and how much to maintain it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom