Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

You can do that for a while but eventually the carbon will give out and need to be replaced every month

Old 03-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post
Ohhhhh yeah they look nasty. Although after a rinsing they don't really look all that bad. But no, they don't have to be bright and shiny new to be effective - once they get "dirty" I feel they are more effective since they are doing two jobs at once, mechanical and biological filtration.
Can you explain that last statement?

Old 03-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyma10 View Post
You can do that for a while but eventually the carbon will give out and need to be replaced every month
That's what we're discussing; if the carbon inside these HOBs will HAVE to be replaced -- either by cutting open the floss pad and removing the old carbon to replace for new, which I'm not gonna do, or by swapping out the whole cartridge for a new one -- because they will eventually "leak toxins" back into the water if exhausted...or if they can simply be reused by dipping in removed tank water...
Old 03-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post

Can you explain that last statement?
Once they get dirty, bacteria has colonized in them so they are now doing biological filtration as well as the mechanical filtration of catching particles that are in the water. New clean cartridges can only catch the particles until bacteria colonizes them, and if you are replacing them regularly then you will never be seeing a benefit of the added bio filtration.

And as for the carbon being exhausted in a month, that's true, but the carbon won't have any detrimental effect on your water. It just won't be filtering out dissolved organized like tannins or meds anymore. There isn't a need for carbon in most tanks most of the time. As has been said, it takes very acidic or basic conditions for carbon to degrade into the water. After a month it will just be sitting in the cartridge inert. And if that worries you you can always cut it out of the filter cartridges before you put them in (or after they have been in for a while if you want).
Old 03-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

These are my filters. Aqueon Quiet Flow 55 and Aquaclear 50.

You can see the differences in the Aqueon Cartridges. One has been in for several months and I just replaced the other 2 weeks ago. In the Aquaclear I switched out the sponge instead of rinsing but have been using the same biomax for almost 7-8 months. It would of been longer but I used my original biomax to seed my QT filter. No carbon in the QT. Carbon run in the Aqueon by default. Carbon run in the Aquaclear optionally.

I will say I have no concerns of carbon leaching toxins back into my aquarium, nor have I ever had issues stemming from it. Does it become useless? Yes Harmful? Not in my opinion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3904127145.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	163680

Name:	image-1186228363.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	163681

Name:	image-1032958682.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	163682

Name:	image-32643931.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	163683

Name:	image-2517091000.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	163684
Old 03-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post

Hi Reyma!

Thanks for the input and pics; finally, I get to see someone's Aqueon in action on their tank!

I have the model that came out before your 55/75s, which is just the QuietFlow 55; it seems that you have your water level set so that the 55/75s create a kind of "surface rippling" effect, which I do with my tank as well...is that so?
Yea I do have my level of water pretty high to my filters make a rippleing effect in the tank
Old 03-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post
Once they get dirty, bacteria has colonized in them so they are now doing biological filtration as well as the mechanical filtration of catching particles that are in the water. New clean cartridges can only catch the particles until bacteria colonizes them, and if you are replacing them regularly then you will never be seeing a benefit of the added bio filtration.

And as for the carbon being exhausted in a month, that's true, but the carbon won't have any detrimental effect on your water. It just won't be filtering out dissolved organized like tannins or meds anymore. There isn't a need for carbon in most tanks most of the time. As has been said, it takes very acidic or basic conditions for carbon to degrade into the water. After a month it will just be sitting in the cartridge inert. And if that worries you you can always cut it out of the filter cartridges before you put them in (or after they have been in for a while if you want).
Thank you!

This is basically all I wanted to know...
Old 03-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #28

Thank you very much for providing such detailed pics, Dark; I will respond to some of your sentiments individually as best as possible:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid76 View Post
These are my filters. Aqueon Quiet Flow 55 and Aquaclear 50.
Almost the same set up as me -- though I am running an AquaClear 110 with the QuietFlow 55!

Quote:
You can see the differences in the Aqueon Cartridges. One has been in for several months and I just replaced the other 2 weeks ago.
So, you leave these cartridges run for several months at a time? And why did you replace the other one...do you replace them rather then "rinse" them off to be reused?

Quote:
In the Aquaclear I switched out the sponge instead of rinsing but have been using the same biomax for almost 7-8 months. It would of been longer but I used my original biomax to seed my QT filter. No carbon in the QT. Carbon run in the Aqueon by default. Carbon run in the Aquaclear optionally.
Since getting acquainted with AquaClears, I have been advised to never really touch the sponge block...only rinse it off in removed tank water and use it until it literally is falling apart...same for the BioMax...is there a reason why you switched out the sponge on your AC?

Quote:
I will say I have no concerns of carbon leaching toxins back into my aquarium, nor have I ever had issues stemming from it. Does it become useless? Yes Harmful? Not in my opinion.
Thank you for your valued opinion -- but do you just leave your Aqueon cartridges in until you REPLACE them, so THAT is why you don't fear toxins leeching back into the aquarium, or do you leave them almost indefinitely, just rinising the loose debris off?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyma10 View Post
Yea I do have my level of water pretty high to my filters make a rippleing effect in the tank
I have found, with the QuietFlows, that if you're water level is TOO high, the filter has no flow at all, and simply bubbles some tiny flow return out (when looking at the flow from the inside of the tank)...to make these Aqueons give that cool "fast ripple" effect across the surface, I have to keep my water level just a tad below "filled up"...
Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well mine works fine with the water pretty high
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20130330_191317.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	163699  

Tags
cartridge, hob, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com