Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #1

Let's Talk LED Bubble Bars/Wands/Sticks Etc...

Okay, so, I'm getting really tempted to pick one of these "LED bubble bars" or wands up because they just look so darn cool, to replace the two regular Petco 18" bars I have in the tank now...I just don't know much about these things; if you read some "user reviews" on Amazon, some will say they nearly fried their fish because of "voltage accidents" when these light bars when into the tank, or they warn against possible electricution...

Then, there are reviews of, say, Petsmart's Top Fin LED bubble wands that get HORRIBLE reviews; check some of these out:

Top Fin&reg LED Bubble Wand - Lighting & Hoods - Fish - PetSmart

Here are some of the other ones I am considering, though the Marineland variants seem WAY out of budget right now:

Amazon.com: Pet Supplies

The thing is, I am uncertain of whether to go with one solid color, or one of the "changing multicolor" LEDs, and whether one of the ones that "change colors slowly" are better than the rapidly-switching ones; or if this even matters...

Then, there's the issue of how these essentially work -- does anyone with any experience with these LED bubblers know if the lights stay on ALL the time the bubbles are going so long as the plug is plugged in...or can you turn on the lights when you want and still have the bubbles going with them off?

What is everyone's general sense or take on these LED bubble products? Let's discuss!

Old 04-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No matter what product you go with, there's always a chance of electricity in the water. I do agree with you, they are cool, I had one in the smaller tank I used to have but sold it when I upgraded. For the bubble lights you can turn off the lights without turning off the bubbles. Most I seem are independent from each other so one plug for the air pump and one for the light. I went with one color that was more suited for my tank

Old 04-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketooth View Post
No matter what product you go with, there's always a chance of electricity in the water.
So there IS a possibility my wife could be serving fried fillet of goldfish at any time with these LED bars...or possibly that I light up like Lunar Park when I stick my hand in for maintenance?

Quote:
I do agree with you, they are cool, I had one in the smaller tank I used to have but sold it when I upgraded. For the bubble lights you can turn off the lights without turning off the bubbles. Most I seem are independent from each other so one plug for the air pump and one for the light. I went with one color that was more suited for my tank
So, if I understand you right, if I want just the bubbles to run, I need to leave the LED PLUG unplugged, but if I want both to run, I need to go behind my tank and physically PLUG IN the plug belonging to the light run? That's going to get old real quick, as during the day, I would just want the bubbles to be going, but at night I'd want to illuminate the bars/wands...

There's no ON/OFF switch attached to the power cord of these things?
Old 04-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Depends on which one you buy. Some will have a switch some wont. Could always get a timer. No diferent then the chance you take with your heater.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiketooth View Post
Depends on which one you buy. Some will have a switch some wont. Could always get a timer. No diferent then the chance you take with your heater.
Luckily, I keep goldfish so I don't need a heater...but I see your point.

I didn't know that some have switches and some don't; do you know, offhand, which ones do and don't?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Could tell ya but you would have to order online. Sterlin is the manufacture but its a Japanese brand. Wish I could be more helpful. You could check your Lfs see if they got any, check online just read the review and email the company asking a out if there is a switch
Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #7

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

These are the ones i have at my lfs, two of the left has switchs the one on the right does not

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130414_114645.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	167321
Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #9

Thanks; I'm assuming these aren't sold in the 'States, since you're in Japan, correct? They're only available online outside of Japan?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There tetra brand so i would think they are in the states as well

Tags
bubble, ick, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com