Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-10-2004, 07:26 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
You also need to factor in the reduced market LFS work in, resulting in less customers and a higher need for profit per sale.

Originally Posted by Bioworldmaker
As someone said before... With the shipping costs, ends up about the same...
Check out my thread Here for the online retailers with free shipping.

When I buy my filters for my Emporer 400 online I get 16 for about $38 shipped when 4 of them are $20 in my LFS. Also, www.bigalsonline.com has dirt cheap shipping, I know I've saved hundreds there.

Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:36 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Some times you need to support the LFS or we will get nothing but petsmarts and petco's. I'm willing to pay a bit more here and there at my Favorite LFS because they take care of me and because they aren't Petsmart!

I won't overpay a lot but for most stuff its worth the extra few bucks to keep the LFS in business

icon149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:26 PM   #13
It is hard to understand until you are in the business! The online customer and the walk in customer are two differnet personalities. Most LFS do have overhead that approachs 10-15K a month depending on size but my overhead when i was really advertising hard on google and yahoo was $7000 easily!

Plus i only sell drygoods and no animals. Animals die and dead fish is lost profit that has to be made up somewhere! A light can sit on the shelf for a year and fire right up for the customer!

My customer base is just broader and bigger (the whole world) than the local fish store. Most people still want to touch it and have the item explained to them before they buy. For eveery 10 orders i get that are placed online I get 20 that are phoned in. Alot of people still do not trust the net with there secure info yet!

I think alot of people shop online for variety rather than all out price; unless your LFS is gouging you! Also what i sell a Corallife aqualight for some LFS have to pay the same amount from there wholesaler than mark it up accordingly to make a profit! It is like that with alot of products. But i have sold over 200 aqualights this year and most LFS may sell 12 in a year.

The LFS will always play a key role in the hobby; with out them we will have no new hobbiests. I still pick things up at the local LFS and support them.
After all without them i would not be here today!

Enough of my sensless ranting!
captivereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
The way that I save tons of money is that I buy frozen food for a year and supplies for a year too. By doing this, you sometimes get free shipping and tons of savings. For example, my fish expense was 1,500 Yearly and now it's only 540 Buck.
Fishboy-from-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:59 PM   #15
Plus most LFS have little to no selection of hardcore reef related dry goods!
captivereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:07 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus
Thank you for the comprehensive rundown from the online retailer perspective. It really helps to hear how it is from the trenches!

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com