LFS vs Online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I need to vent. I don't get it. Why is stuff way cheaper online than in the LFS? I can see buying tanks and fish at the LFS but why buy anything else there? Even the heavy stuff that requires extra shipping costs is cheaper to buy online. If everyone shopped online then all the LFS would go out of business. You would think that they would know this and try to be competitively priced. Sorry to rant on but I find this very annoying.

well i have found a lfs that has prices that are cheaper then online. and then you do not have to pay for shipping. but that is only on dry goods. on his live stock the prices are really $$$$ but they look really good. and i think lfs stay in business becasue of all the people who do not want to order it and wate. there is some things that you have to have right now and cant wate for a week for it. and they also sell live stock. i do not buy that online becasue i want to see the fish and coral i am getting.

Most on-line businesses have much lower overhead and their customer base is much broader, so they buy more bulk and "pass the savings on to you" so to speak. You get to pay for shipping so it usually comes out even in the end.

You get to pay for shipping so it usually comes out even in the end.

Maybe for some stuff, but I'll never get over buying my Filstar XP1 filter at a lfs, after the store owner was generous enough to drop the price down to $100 from $125! I thought I had a great deal, until I saw that I could buy a XP3 online for the same price! The same goes for the filter media--up to three times as much in the only lfs that carries it! When I start getting my 55 gallon stuff, all of my hardware will be bought online--most likely from drsfostersmith.com.

You are right about those filters - I got my XP3 including media from Big Al's for just under $100 - I won't even tell you how much the LFS wanted for them - no media included. In that case, a lightweight item like that with shipping it was still a great deal.

I buy a lot of my stuff online, the LFS up here bend you over pretty much. I haven't bought livestock yet...but will be soon online.

watch for the little stuff. i know when i got the clear tubeing from drfosterandsmith.com for more then i could get it at home depo. it is the little stuff that you have to watch out for. i was just lazy when i made my order and did not look around. i think i payed like 10 for 10 feet and i could have gotten it for like $5 for 10 feet. but you win some you lose some.

WarOrks15 said:
watch for the little stuff. i know when i got the clear tubeing from drfosterandsmith.com for more then i could get it at home depo. it is the little stuff that you have to watch out for. i was just lazy when i made my order and did not look around. i think i payed like 10 for 10 feet and i could have gotten it for like $5 for 10 feet. but you win some you lose some.

Yes I guess ordering some little thing online doesn't really pay but if you have a bigger ticket item or at least a lot of little items it sure is worth it.

I guess I expected better prices locally. I just can't see buying at the LFS when I can get it online for at least 15-35% cheaper. I know sometimes I have trouble waiting for getting things online. I check the tracking number over and over again thinking somehow that it might come quicker that way. I guess one needs to be patient if they want a bargain.

greenfish said:
I guess I expected better prices locally. I just can't see buying at the LFS when I can get it online for at least 15-35% cheaper. I know sometimes I have trouble waiting for getting things online. I check the tracking number over and over again thinking somehow that it might come quicker that way. I guess one needs to be patient if they want a bargain.

Think of that this way:
the LFS has many more costs than any online store - like hiring all the employees, being open on weekend, ordering 300 types of fish from all kinds, keeping them, ordering plants, supplies, organizing shelves - not to mention the rent they pay for their location. I am not saying that the online store doesn't have some costs, but theirs is probably a huge warehouse with cement tank and not glass aquariums...

Also, you gain the convenience of going there and looking exactly at the ONE fish you want and getting what you need when you need it, not 3 days later... I am more than willing to pay more for something I need in exchange of the convenience, as long that it isn't unreasonable...

As someone said before... With the shipping costs, ends up about the same...

You also need to factor in the reduced market LFS work in, resulting in less customers and a higher need for profit per sale.

Bioworldmaker said:
As someone said before... With the shipping costs, ends up about the same...

Check out my thread Here for the online retailers with free shipping.

When I buy my filters for my Emporer 400 online I get 16 for about $38 shipped when 4 of them are $20 in my LFS. Also, www.bigalsonline.com has dirt cheap shipping, I know I've saved hundreds there.

Some times you need to support the LFS or we will get nothing but petsmarts and petco's. I'm willing to pay a bit more here and there at my Favorite LFS because they take care of me and because they aren't Petsmart!

I won't overpay a lot but for most stuff its worth the extra few bucks to keep the LFS in business

It is hard to understand until you are in the business! The online customer and the walk in customer are two differnet personalities. Most LFS do have overhead that approachs 10-15K a month depending on size but my overhead when i was really advertising hard on google and yahoo was $7000 easily!

Plus i only sell drygoods and no animals. Animals die and dead fish is lost profit that has to be made up somewhere! A light can sit on the shelf for a year and fire right up for the customer!

My customer base is just broader and bigger (the whole world) than the local fish store. Most people still want to touch it and have the item explained to them before they buy. For eveery 10 orders i get that are placed online I get 20 that are phoned in. Alot of people still do not trust the net with there secure info yet!

I think alot of people shop online for variety rather than all out price; unless your LFS is gouging you! Also what i sell a Corallife aqualight for some LFS have to pay the same amount from there wholesaler than mark it up accordingly to make a profit! It is like that with alot of products. But i have sold over 200 aqualights this year and most LFS may sell 12 in a year.

The LFS will always play a key role in the hobby; with out them we will have no new hobbiests. I still pick things up at the local LFS and support them.
After all without them i would not be here today!

Enough of my sensless ranting!

The way that I save tons of money is that I buy frozen food for a year and supplies for a year too. By doing this, you sometimes get free shipping and tons of savings. For example, my fish expense was 1,500 Yearly and now it's only 540 Buck.

Darin-
Thank you for the comprehensive rundown from the online retailer perspective. It really helps to hear how it is from the trenches! :D

Back
Top Bottom