Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2004, 06:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LFS vs Online

Ok I need to vent. I don't get it. Why is stuff way cheaper online than in the LFS? I can see buying tanks and fish at the LFS but why buy anything else there? Even the heavy stuff that requires extra shipping costs is cheaper to buy online. If everyone shopped online then all the LFS would go out of business. You would think that they would know this and try to be competitively priced. Sorry to rant on but I find this very annoying.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
well i have found a lfs that has prices that are cheaper then online. and then you do not have to pay for shipping. but that is only on dry goods. on his live stock the prices are really $$$$ but they look really good. and i think lfs stay in business becasue of all the people who do not want to order it and wate. there is some things that you have to have right now and cant wate for a week for it. and they also sell live stock. i do not buy that online becasue i want to see the fish and coral i am getting.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I definitely can see buying livestock locally but drygoods at the LFS in my area are way more expensive than online.

greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 07:42 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Most on-line businesses have much lower overhead and their customer base is much broader, so they buy more bulk and "pass the savings on to you" so to speak. You get to pay for shipping so it usually comes out even in the end.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Quote:
You get to pay for shipping so it usually comes out even in the end.
Maybe for some stuff, but I'll never get over buying my Filstar XP1 filter at a lfs, after the store owner was generous enough to drop the price down to $100 from $125! I thought I had a great deal, until I saw that I could buy a XP3 online for the same price! The same goes for the filter media--up to three times as much in the only lfs that carries it! When I start getting my 55 gallon stuff, all of my hardware will be bought online--most likely from drsfostersmith.com.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:45 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

You are right about those filters - I got my XP3 including media from Big Al's for just under $100 - I won't even tell you how much the LFS wanted for them - no media included. In that case, a lightweight item like that with shipping it was still a great deal.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:21 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I buy a lot of my stuff online, the LFS up here bend you over pretty much. I haven't bought livestock yet...but will be soon online.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
watch for the little stuff. i know when i got the clear tubeing from drfosterandsmith.com for more then i could get it at home depo. it is the little stuff that you have to watch out for. i was just lazy when i made my order and did not look around. i think i payed like 10 for 10 feet and i could have gotten it for like $5 for 10 feet. but you win some you lose some.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:46 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarOrks15
watch for the little stuff. i know when i got the clear tubeing from drfosterandsmith.com for more then i could get it at home depo. it is the little stuff that you have to watch out for. i was just lazy when i made my order and did not look around. i think i payed like 10 for 10 feet and i could have gotten it for like $5 for 10 feet. but you win some you lose some.
Yes I guess ordering some little thing online doesn't really pay but if you have a bigger ticket item or at least a lot of little items it sure is worth it.

I guess I expected better prices locally. I just can't see buying at the LFS when I can get it online for at least 15-35% cheaper. I know sometimes I have trouble waiting for getting things online. I check the tracking number over and over again thinking somehow that it might come quicker that way. I guess one needs to be patient if they want a bargain.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:23 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfish
I guess I expected better prices locally. I just can't see buying at the LFS when I can get it online for at least 15-35% cheaper. I know sometimes I have trouble waiting for getting things online. I check the tracking number over and over again thinking somehow that it might come quicker that way. I guess one needs to be patient if they want a bargain.

Think of that this way:
the LFS has many more costs than any online store - like hiring all the employees, being open on weekend, ordering 300 types of fish from all kinds, keeping them, ordering plants, supplies, organizing shelves - not to mention the rent they pay for their location. I am not saying that the online store doesn't have some costs, but theirs is probably a huge warehouse with cement tank and not glass aquariums...

Also, you gain the convenience of going there and looking exactly at the ONE fish you want and getting what you need when you need it, not 3 days later... I am more than willing to pay more for something I need in exchange of the convenience, as long that it isn't unreasonable...

As someone said before... With the shipping costs, ends up about the same...

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com