Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2003, 12:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lifespan Question - Junior Heaters.

Are these reliable ? How long do these last ? Thanks.

Vijay

Old 07-28-2003, 11:56 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have not heard of these. Can you link us to one?

As far as heaters go you get what you pay for IMO. Dont get those el'cheapo hang on heaters as they will likly short out or overheat and cause you problems.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 12:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
I have not heard of these. Can you link us to one?

As far as heaters go you get what you pay for IMO. Dont get those el'cheapo hang on heaters as they will likly short out or overheat and cause you problems.
Click Here for Junior Heater

From what I understand these are commonly available in some Walmarts in the US as several people have small tanks. From what I have heard so far, it appears that there is just one choice for this type of heater. It seems to be the real low grade and will probably last one winter or so. However, this is just my guess and I would appreciate if anyone with actual experience would share more related info. Thanks in advance.

Vijay
Old 07-28-2003, 12:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

By the way, the site also offers a heater guard for these junior heaters. Another great concern is that there is no temperature control on these heaters. In the dead of winter, temperature in my apartment hit a low of 9C or 49F two years ago. So, then basically this heater must increase the temperature all the way from 9C to 23C or from 49F to about 75F. Can't help wondering if this small heater will be able to increase the temperature so much.

Vijay
Old 07-28-2003, 01:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

First your heater doesn't have to increase it from 9 to 23. You water will already be warm, so it will just be maintaining the temp. A lot less work.

Yes, generally the cheaper heaters aren't great. But then again I have one from the early 80's on my 5 gallon tank and it still works great.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is general advice but encouraging and good to know.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I went into a store to buy a 25W heater on Tuesday and they refused to sell me one. The reason being that I wanted to use it in an acrylic tank. They said in such a tank, the heater is 100% guarenteed to melt the tank, kill the fish and cause a possible fire hazard. They said, if I buy it, it is at my total risk. They said that several keep Bettas, even when it gets very cold locally without any problems. For now, that is what I have decided to do.

Vijay

Tags
eat, eater, heaters, lifespan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com