Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Lifetech R362

I have a Lifetech R362 tank which is a 92l /24 gallon tank. It has a built in overhead filter which is fed by a 300l/h pump. Like in the attached picture. It also has a hood with 2 50/50 36w compact flourescent lights. Ialso have a pressurized CO2 system. My question is can I run a successfully planted tank with this equipment or do I need to upgrade anything? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r362_1.jpg (132.7 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg r362_1.jpg (132.7 KB, 239 views)

Old 12-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to azn_fishy55
Looks like that tank is perfect for a planted eco-system.The 36 watt cp is also good and you will be able to keep many plants.Just make sure you have a nutrient rich substrate(like eco-complete),good CO2 Levels,and a balance in nutrients.If you have all these you will be very successful with your planted tank.Happy Planting! ^_^

Old 12-10-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. How should I set up the filter? Do I keep the bio-rings? Use fiter floss? Both? Carbon?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Since the bulbs are a 50/50, you'll probably want to swap them out for another. The 50/50 are usually half acitinic which doesn't do much for you plants and shouldn't be considered when calculating you light level. If you swap them for a 6500K you would have about 3 WPG which would put you at the bottom of the High Light range and would allow you to grow most any plant that you could want.

If you stick with the 50/50 bulbs you would only have 1.5 WPG of usable light, which is somewhere between Low and Medium Light. You would have a more limited selection of plants, but a much lower maintenance tank. You wouldn't need the CO2 and only minimal fertilization. You could always start out this way, and then when you are ready swap out the bulb and move into the High Light and its extra requirements.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 05:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Would the filter be sufficient enough. I was kind of concerned with the spray bar over the bio-rings. Wondering if this setup is ideal or would I lose nutrients because of the spraybar?
bigbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to azn_fishy55
yeah,I didn't know that 50/50 bulbs don't give much light that can be used by plants so I agree with Purrbox.But the filter should be okay as long there is no carbon.Carbon takes away the essential micro and macro nutrients from plants and they become pretty much use-less after two or three days.You shouldn't lose any nutrients but CO2 but CO2 is essential.HTH
Old 12-11-2005, 09:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
is there any way to modify the spraybar to put it under the water surfase?
agreed.. I would swap out one of the 50/50 bulbs for a 6500K bulb if I wanted more growth.. but if its your first shot at a planted tank you might want to try it as is for now.. you should have plenty light for low to medium light plants.. as your skills at keeping nutrients in ballance increase you could go with the 6500K bulbs one at a time and youll have a HIGH light tank with both in place..
do you have any ferts.?
Old 12-11-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm not sure I can modify the spray bar since the water level in the filter doesn't go very high. I was thinking of doing the original Conlin/Sears PMDD recipe since I have microplex and all the other ingredients. Is that outdated and do I have to customize it somehow?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I modified my spray bar and return to minimize the waterfall effect since I wasn't getting any pH drop even with CO2 injection. We'll see if it works. Any other comments or suggestions are more than welcome. TIA. My current test readings are as follows:
KH= 5
pH= 8.5
Old 12-14-2005, 10:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, that's a REALLY high pH for that Kh. is your tap water identical after you take a sample and let it sit out overnight prior to testing?

I wouldn't suggest PMDD. The problem with it is, you've got a complete mix of ferts...NPK and traces. What if you need to dose N because it's low? You are stuck dosing PK and traces in order to add the N. This can lead to an imbalance in nutrient ratios, and the right ratio is what prevents algae from invading the tank.

Welcome to AA by the way. Make sure you read the stickied posts at the top of this plant forum. We cover a lot of the basics on fertilization, CO2 principals, etc.

If that spray bar is splashing water onto the bio-rings, that's why your CO2 is outgassing, so you were right in trying to mod it. You want the least amount of splashing possible.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com