light fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SNAKEMANVET

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had several freshwater setups,but now I am wanting to do live plants in my 120.The tank dimisions are 4x2x2.What light fixture would you guys suggest.

Moving to General Hardware forum.

What kind of setup are you looking to get into? Are you just looking to be able to grow some basic, low-light plants, or are you wanting to go hi-tech high-light with CO2 and fertilizers and the whole 9 yards?

Depending on what you want to do will determine how much light you'll need.

I would like to start off with low to medium light plants,I may go to high light plants later.I have a 6 x 54 watt tec light that I had on my 120 when it was a reef tank.Since I upgraded to a 240 no need for them.

the 6 x 54 tek light would be perfect for high light plants. you could turn off half of the bulbs if you just want to do low light plants.

Thats good to know,Which bulbs would work best with plants,and have good color.My substrate is sand,about 3'' deep,and I have 2 large pieces of driftwood and some large rocks.I have a 40 gallon sump for filtration and a quiet one 4000 hh as my return pump.

well, i'm not sure about aquatic plants, but i know that 6500k is the target color temp for normal house plant growth, and is also the best color temp for refugium macro algae, so i would have a couple of those, and a few actinics to take the yellow out of the tank.
you could buy GE 6500k lamps from lowes or home depot for 3 bucks a piece last i checked.

Thanks Doug,The 6500k bulbs you are refering to is the fluorscent compact spiral bulbs. If so I could mount two of those and two of my actinic bulbs also.

I have the 4bulb tek fixtures on my planted tank and love them.

I use the geissman bulbs, they're my favorites, albeit a little pricey. I run a mixture of their Midday (6000K) and their aquablue+ bulbs and have had great success.

I have 2 new giesemann powerchrome aqua blue+ bulbs that are 15,000k.I never got around to useing before breaking down the 120 reef.

then use them for the blues and get a single 6500k lamp for now and see if 3 lamps is ok for you at this time. that 6 lamp fixture has 2 cords, right? 3 and 3?

It has 2 cords,1 for the 2 outside bulbs and the other for the 4 in the middle.Thanks again for your help.

well, then you have your choice of 4 lamps, or two. i would probably use the 4 for now, those 2 giesemanns, a 6500k, and maybe an ATI blue plus.
that should make the tank look pretty good, and still get some decent plant growth.

I put the light fixture on today with 2 aqua blue+ and 1 6500k and I really like the color.I am letting the tank cycle for about 2 weeks before putting fish or inverts in.

Back
Top Bottom