Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Light Fixture Question

Alrighty, Heres whats going on. I have a 20g tank that is set up as a quarentine temporarily until my 75g is stocked. When thats done I was planning on doing a freshwater community tank because the light I have for it is only a single bulb T8. Well long story short, My light doesnt work SO, now that I have to buy a new fixture, I figure, turn the thing saltwater.
So I am looking at two different options, and I would love opinions.
The first is a 2 bulb, T5 fixture for about $53.00 shipped Coralife Aqualight Dual Linear Strip T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X14 Watt, 24 inch

The second route is making a hood, with two 2 bulb T8 fixtures such as this Shop Utilitech 24" Utility Fluorescent Lighting at Lowes.com

Now obviously I know that T5s are better than T8s (for some reason unknown to me ) But would 4 T8s be as good as two T5s? Aaaand what kind of coral, if any, would I be able to keep with either fixture.
Thanks for the help guys!

rebelyeller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Well as an update I'm leaning more towards the two 2 bulb T8 fixtures for the simple fact that I can walk into Lowes tomorrow and have them.
I would still like to hear which set up would be better. Cause I'll get the other if it's better, I just need somebody to tell me which is best...

rebelyeller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
I'll be totally honest. I would never waste money on T8s. And looking back, I wish I had not done my 4 bulb T5. I want to keep SPS and it just isn't enough bang for the buck. I am running a coralife T5 unit and regretting it because they use a size/wattage of bulb no one else makes! Frustrating. BUT, I was looking around my LFS this week and they have begun switching many of their tanks over to Marineland LEDs. They have one on their coral tank... I don't think it would be enough for SPS, but for a unit that costs ~100 bucks I can easily see it being able to support softies, maybe even some LPS.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a fowlr I've been looking for lights I think I'm gonna go to lowes tomorrow to pick those t8s up and some day light bulbs thanks
kjboer7 is offline   Reply With Quote

fixture, light, light fixture

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com