Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Light fixture questions - LED?

I've been using a Current fluorescent fixture in my 65-gal FOWLR tank. It has two bulbs, one white, other blue-white, and has worked fine, though it tends to cause the tank to be too warm in summer months (I know, I could reduce the lights-on hours). Yesterday it quit - I haven't tested it yet, so don't know whether it's just bulbs - strange that both would go at same time.

But I've been reading about the new LED light fixtures, and thinking that might be the way to go, to reduce my electricity bills and the heat load on the tank. (I am paying for significant amount of tier-two electricity in spite of having a rather small house and frugal habits; suspect a lot if it is due to my tank with its lights & pumps.)

I've seen two models by Marineland - their Reef LED, ~ $250 for the 36" size I need, and their Double Bright LED for ! $110.

I don't have any corals yet, but would prefer to get lighting that would support some (if not necessarily those that need the most intense light), unless there is a downside to stronger lighting other than price.

So, I'd appreciate any comments on LED lighting relative to various fluorescent or other types, and in particular reef-level vs lower output units.

bpeitzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Me, personally I wouldnt use those LED's for reef keeping. If you want decent lighting and affordable I would go with a 4 bulb T5 fixture.

I really like the shimmer of the led's though, so maybe there are some other options. This question comes up every once in awhile on here. lol

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
After seeing my lfs's 400g reef tank that they just converted to full led.... I wouldn't think twice about going led....looks absolutely stunning and can sustain coral extremely well but that doesn't mean t5 is crappy, if nothing else atleast go t5
my 125g Sw...Round 2!http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

fixture, led, light, light fixture

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com