Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-02-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Light/Hood question

I am setting up a planted tank and ran into a snag. The tank is a 55 gal and the current hood has 2-15 watt bulbs. Since this is not enough light for a 55 gal, I had read about the compact fluorescent kits and have decided that 2-55 watts should do the trick. This brings me to my problem, I would like to keep the hood I have, which is the average plastic hood you get with the tank from petsmart. The problem is that I'm not sure if the lights will be running to hot for the hood to handle. I was planning on setting up one 55 watt on each side of the tank replacing the 15 watt. I was going to build my own housing for the light to sit where the old light strips sat. Is there anyway that I could use my old hood? If not, is there any lighting solution that I can do to use my old hood to get the recommended wattage? And if I'm stuck getting rid of the hood, what kind of replacement hood would work best? I thank you in advance for any responses.

mbjrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Check out AHSupply.com - they have the best retrofit kits out there, and you can use your housing. They do get hot, and they recommend silicone stick-on "feet" to be used as spacers. I drilled a cluster of holes into the ends of my housing to allow more air circulation.

Welcome to AA!

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 07:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
TankGirl is right on target with her recommendation of AH Supply.
They are the best I've ever dealt with.
I retro-fitted a 55 for exactly the same reason that you describe, with a 2 X 55 kit. They do run hot, but if you mount the ballast on the outside of the hood you should have no problems with it. I've been running mine(with plastic hoods) that way for over a year with no issues and no necessity for fans etc.
Your kit will come with everything you'll need except tools. They include everything down to the most minute detail.

'Life Is Difficult' - M. Scott Peck
The Road Less Traveled
djlen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks for your responses. I was looking at the AHSupply kits and thats where I was going to get them from. I just wanted to make sure there wasnt going to be any issues with melting my plastic hood or anything before I got the kit and assembled it. Thanks.
mbjrc is offline   Reply With Quote

hood, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com