light in sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badamsios

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey y'all... What kind and how much light (if any) should be on my sump? Will an old fashioned incadescent light do? How many hours a day? I'd rather not add any more heat to my tanks than I have to.

Thanks
Brian

I just have some PC`s over mine. I`ve heard others talk about using those clip on lamps. Cant remember what they are called. Also moving this to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

If you can, and if you want to grow macro algae, keep it on 24/7. "Can" usually happens if the light doesn't bother you. Mine was under a closed cabinet/stand, so I did 24/7.

Another choice is opposite the main lights.

Thanks, folks.

Brian

"Advice is what you ask for when you know the answer but don't like it."

I use a compact Fluorescent bulb I got from Walmart in their "Pet Section" and have it on a timer for 8 hours at night for my macro algae...Helps to stablize my ph.

Well, originally, I was wondering about aerobic and anaerobic bacterias. However, a little research pointed out the wisdom of some algae's benifits in reducing Nitrates, phospates, buffering ph...etc.

So, I just ordered some Chaeto:)

I run my refuge light 24/7. I have grape calerpa in mine and it`s best to run 24/7.

Not sure how much you ordered but take a look at your local reef club, reefcentral or other forums. You can get it pretty cheap when people trim back.

I posted for some here but no hits at all. Picked up a gallon bag from RC for $10 shipped.

Captain Ahab? The man had particularly strong feelings for a certain white whale. Kinda lost his cool astride the beasts back ya know?

Nothing more than an attempt at humor. Apparently not a terribly good attempt, but nothing more.

Brian

Always saw him as an obsessive crusader doing the work of the town 'will nots' with a big heart and that one fatal flow the burden's so many of us..

Revenge at any cost...

Sleep with one eye open my friend :)

Back to sump lighting.........................I was advised to have my sump light opposite my main lights i.e overnight to help stabilise the PH anyone got any ideas thoughts or experience on this

some do , some don't, as was said some run it 24X7.. I run mine like God runs his... same as my fishes

I have cheato in my sump to help control the algae in my tank. I have been using just a regular florescent plant light you can get a Wal-Mart or hard ware store and keep it on 24/7. Works great. The cheato has been growing pretty good since I've been using it.

I run my light reverse, makes a great night light and I don't falll all over the place any more. Kind of two birds(fishes) with one stone.....

Back
Top Bottom