Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2005, 11:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

They were charging $25?! That's way too expensive. Have you looked around at other places? The lfs (besides Petco or Petsmart?) Our 150 gal tank came with 2 glass hoods, but they were selling them for something like $15 at the lfs. Just a thought. If you can't get them cheaper elsewhere, then I'd say go with the lighting. And it's true, the bulbs for a 48 inch strip are practically the same price as the smaller ones.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
at my petsmart for a 29 gallon tank was 20$ and 2 of those so its 40$... if thats what you mean

Old 06-02-2005, 11:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic
They were charging $25?! That's way too expensive. Have you looked around at other places? The lfs (besides Petco or Petsmart?) Our 150 gal tank came with 2 glass hoods, but they were selling them for something like $15 at the lfs. Just a thought. If you can't get them cheaper elsewhere, then I'd say go with the lighting. And it's true, the bulbs for a 48 inch strip are practically the same price as the smaller ones.
Have I mentioned that I hate lighting? My 55g tank has a protruding center bar that I'm 95% sure will make that hood not fit my tank. Now I have to try to get a refund on Ebay I think really my only option is the strongest natural daylight bulbs I can fit in my current fixture. I guess my nanocube will have to be my only well-lit tank, too bad.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
thats what i meant. a normal 55 fits 2 29 gallon hoods i think
Old 06-03-2005, 12:00 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

If there is an issue with it fitting (being too large), you can always have the glass cut or shaved down.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:47 AM   #16

no, there is a beam running right in the middle of my tank that is higher than the lip of the tank. I would have to do some pretty major modifications to get it to fit. I think Krap has the better idea of getting two glass hoods, but I think I am just going to skip it altogether at this point. Thanks for the concern though everyone
Old 06-03-2005, 12:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's what I meant Tony, getting two hoods. I think all 55 gal tanks have that center strip for support. The main issue that I see, would be the light strip sitting on the top of the tank if the lip is too high. Then again, you could just cut the light strip where the strip would go across it. Only on the plastic of course. It could be a really cool DIY project.

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com