Light on, but Heater doesn't seem to work!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starmagz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.

Recently I bought a new 200W heater for my ~45 gallon tank because my old 150W heater didn't seem to work. When I put the heater in, I grasped it and it was definitely heating. However, the next day, the water was not warm at all and I grasped the heater and it was not warm. I have it hooked to a "temperature setter" dial and the light is on meaning it has to be heating but it just doesn't seem to work.

I know my female Reeves turtle along with my Pleco need warm water and I am really starting to get scared that my fish is going to die. I have put warm water in the tank but I don't want to shock my fish or stress him out.

My dad said he was not going to go out and buy another heater and I'm just really afraid my Pleco is going to die. I know my turtle will be fine, as she has a pier she basks on with a light to keep her warm. But my Pleco has nothing of the sort.

I thought maybe it was the dial that was broken because it got wet or something but it has a light so it must be fine. Right now, I have both the 150 and 200W heaters in the tank and neither are warm when I grasp them. My 200W heater's packaging says "Safety Auto SH" but I'm not quite sure what that is. The 150W is the same brand so I'm assuming it has the same.

Please help! Thank you so much and sorry for the rant.:thanks:

If you just bought the heater, return it for a refund or a new one.

Back
Top Bottom