light penetration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Will eggcrate allow more light pentration or will it defeat the purpose? I have heard it shades the tank some? I use glasstops and I was just wondering which is best?

It does allow for better gas exchange and maybe heat control. I say just go topless.

I think you will be fine. I have yellow watchman goby in my tank and have no problems without a glass cover.

glass tops shade the tank too something like 15% reduction in light penetration. I think I read something like that over at wetwebmedia. I'll try to find where it said it.

My new tank is open top and I like how it looks a lot better.

My daughters yellow watchman jumped right out while I had the top off. Luckily I was standing right there and scooped him back in. 8O

I went to egg crate after that. It does reduce light but does offer better heat and gas exchange.

Over in Aquabotanic.com about a year or so ago, they discussed that there was recent testing that the eggcrate actually magnified the intensity of the light going into the aquarium. There was an article on this too in FAMA about a year or so ago.

If you have a canopy to hide your top make a frame the size of your opening get a piece of fine fishnet and stretch over it. No light reduction, protection for jumpers and all the benefits of going topless like no tan lines and gas exchange.

I remember reading on this site that the egg crate can magnify the light, but it has to be turned the right way. I use them on my FW tank and it seems to let in a lot more light than the glass. Lots more evaporation though.

Back
Top Bottom