Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you usually use that with heater and chiller?

Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I know with my power compact light that I have on my 30g long I had temp swings. I ended up getting some mounting legs to keep the light off my hood. Just raising it an inch or two dramatically lowered the temperature of the tank. I now only see a degree or so of swing in the temperature with the light on and off.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh
I know with my power compact light that I have on my 30g long I had temp swings. I ended up getting some mounting legs to keep the light off my hood. Just raising it an inch or two dramatically lowered the temperature of the tank. I now only see a degree or so of swing in the temperature with the light on and off.
I have power compact lights too. I built a stand for the light. About an 2" from the glass cover. Can't go any higher because of the canopy. I keep my canopy open to cool the light down a little bit. I have 6-65W now.

I'm thinking that a split photoperiod will help with temp swings. What do you guys think? 4 on 4 off 3on 13 off.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #14
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydooms View Post
Do you usually use that with heater and chiller?
I don't have a chiller. i use regular aquarium heaters and regular clip on fans.
Quote:
I have power compact lights too. I built a stand for the light. About an 2" from the glass cover. Can't go any higher because of the canopy. I keep my canopy open to cool the light down a little bit. I have 6-65W now.

I'm thinking that a split photoperiod will help with temp swings. What do you guys think? 4 on 4 off 3on 13 off.
A split photo period is not healthy for fish or corals and not natural. I would not recommend running your lights like that.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt
I don't have a chiller. i use regular aquarium heaters and regular clip on fans.

A split photo period is not healthy for fish or corals and not natural. I would not recommend running your lights like that.
I have a fresh water tank. As for the split photo period, I want to rid of some algae and will get back to regular schedule once fixed. I bought a fan that is scheduled to turn on and off as the lights.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have a fresh water tank. As for the split photo period, I want to rid of some algae and will get back to regular schedule once fixed. I bought a fan that is scheduled to turn on and off as the lights.
I rune my lights split into 2 PP segments with no ill effects.

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com