Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Light raising temp

I have my heater set to 82F but my light fixture is warming up the aquarium to 86F. How do you deal with this? Should I lower the heater to 78F? My ideal temp would be 82-83F. Thanks.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I believe people use fans, such as ones used for PC's. Seeing as how I have a few around, I'd just blow one or two across the lights. Also, heaters turn on and off depending on the temp the water is at. (I believe). Might want to have some more people chime in too, but that's my $.02 =)

Old 05-05-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillage
I believe people use fans, such as ones used for PC's. Seeing as how I have a few around, I'd just blow one or two across the lights. Also, heaters turn on and off depending on the temp the water is at. (I believe). Might want to have some more people chime in too, but that's my $.02 =)
My fixture has a built in fan. It just gets really hot that it warms up the tank a few degrees. About the heater, I know it turns off by itself. My question is, since my fixture raises temp, can I set my heater a few degrees less than my desired temp and let the lights make up for the rest? I guess I'll be doing some experimenting with my lights and temp. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydooms View Post
My fixture has a built in fan. It just gets really hot that it warms up the tank a few degrees. About the heater, I know it turns off by itself. My question is, since my fixture raises temp, can I set my heater a few degrees less than my desired temp and let the lights make up for the rest? I guess I'll be doing some experimenting with my lights and temp. Thanks.
If you were to lower the temp of your heater to compensate for the heat produced by your light, wouldn't the temp of the tank be lower than what you want during light out? I would think that at night your optimal temp would be severely compromised. Sounds to me like the fans built into your light fixture aren't doing their job and maybe replacing them with a bigger/higher flow fan would be something to consider.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Consistenccy is IMPORTANT. You do NOT want to see more than a 2 degree temperature swing in a 24 period. When I ran MH lights I had a fan on a timer to blow across the tank top when the MH lights were on. That kept the tank stable within the 2 degree range. The light fans are meant to keep the light cool, not the tank.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I use a Ranco dual stage temp controller. When the water temp drops below the low set point (80) the heaters kick on and when it goes above the high set point (82) the fans in my canopy and over my sump kick on.

ETC Supply
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great point Mr. Limpet. I will not change the heater temp.

@cmor: do you use a regular fan? What do you use? Is there a clip on fan? The space between my fixture And the tank is less than 2".
Old 05-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

@ccCapt: how do you set up the fan timer to kick in when temp goes over the limit?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
The controller is made to control a high temp and low temp. All you do is set the temps (high and low) and plug the fans and heaters into the controller. It does the rest automatically. Check the link I posted.

Here's mine. The heaters get plugged into #1 and the fans into #2 and the temp probe goes in the water.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt
The controller is made to control a high temp and low temp. All you do is set the temps (high and low) and plug the fans and heaters into the controller. It does the rest automatically. Check the link I posted.

Here's mine. The heaters get plugged into #1 and the fans into #2 and the temp probe goes in the water.
Thanks ccCapt! I would definitely get one. I didn't even know there's a gadget like this.

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com