Light system for 55 gal hooded suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wetfarticus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Need advice for my 55 gallon lighting. It has the stock twin hood single fluorescent bulb setup currently. Want to ditch the stock lights. Would like to continue to use the hood though. It will be a planted tank. Any suggestions what to do? Is it even an option to keep the hood in use? New to the hobby. Don't know diddly so all help is appreciated. Thank you all. Gonna do this right.IMG_1480683247.088706.jpgIMG_1480683326.263846.jpg

Also, I am researching equipment and gathering a list of stuff I need to get it up and running. This is what I have come up with thus far. Your thought please...

Aquatop CF Series Canister Filter (370 and 525 GPH with UV)

ViaAqua 200-Watt Quartz Glass Submersible Heater with Built-In Thermostat

LCR Hallcrest A-1005 Liquid Crystal Vertical Aquarium Thermometer

Hydor Koralia Evolution Aquarium Circulation Pump (750 gph)

Tetra Whisper Air Pump

API Freshwater Master Test Kit

Carib Sea Tahitian Moon Sand

Seachem Flourish Tabs

I have been told that a heating coil is a wise purchase with a planted tank. As I have come to trust the good people on this forum more than anyone else I have talked to, what are your thoughts?

Lots of questions. I'll try to answer what I can:
For the lighting, you could put a 48" LED fixture. It can rest on the hood. The only problem is that small area in the middle of the hood. For the depth of the tank, a Finnex Planted+ or 24/7 should be enough for low to low medium light. There are other brands out there (Beamswork, Fluval) but I have no experience with using them.
I've heard of (but not seen) LED bulb units that fit into the existing fluorescent tube pin holders.
I read about the use of heating coils. I don't know of anyone that uses them in their planted tanks. Not saying they don't work; just don't hear much talk about them.

Yea the coils I'm not so sure about. Don't think I need them and any less expense is good. Just want to do thing right the first time.
Lighting is my biggest worry. Being that I plan on live plants, and have no idea how to do that. The only other thing I'm not certain about is if I should use liquid Co2 additives or spend the money on a gas injection system.

Aquatop CF Series Canister Filter (370 and 525 GPH with UV)

Hydor Koralia Evolution Aquarium Circulation Pump (750 gph)

Tetra Whisper Air Pump

I am new here too. I have certainly not kept up with the new technology and equipment since the last time I kept a tank.

I am curious as to why you are planning three different pumps. Wouldn't the canister filter do all the circulation and filtering?

BTW 55 gal is a great size tank, good luck with the project.

Bill

The canister is the only filter. My list has 2 different flow rates on it because I was being lazy and copied and pasted from an add. The circulation pump I am told is necessary to ensure the tank gets heated evenly being it is 4 ft long.
I am in the same boat as you. Last aquarium I had was almost 30 years ago.

I am told is necessary to ensure the tank gets heated evenly being it is 4 ft long.
I am in the same boat as you. Last aquarium I had was almost 30 years ago.

Yes it's about 30 years for me too. Minboggling new and great stuff available for the hobby today.

I haven't set up a tank yet but will be getting a tall 40 gal 30" long. I kept bigger tanks in the day but there is only so much room available to me at present.

I was hoping a Rena XP2 @ 160 gal/hour loaded with material might provide enough circulation. Oh well, seems more research is in order.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom