Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Red face Light Timers? Do they work right?

Hi. Lookinginto a light timer /strip that can control a biocubes 3 stage lighting and i'm a bit confused.

I'm looking at this one

Digital Power Center/Timer by Coralife - AquaCave

Will it allow the whites to come on separate from the blues? I think the second set of plugs can control the moonlights, just not sure about the dual white and blue thing.

Thanks guys. I appreciate any responses, I feel like a noob!! LOL

Just wanna be sure is all and I know you guys would all know.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

No Carey, this will not do what you are wanting it to do. This only has 2 settings: on, and off. So, when the whites are off, the blues are on, and visa versa.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

grrr...thanks. Do you have any idea of which one I would want? or do I need three separate actual timers?
Old 07-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I am not sure if they make a timer that will have 3 separate on times for 3 separate circuits in 1 unit... but you reef people are crazy, and have some cool equipment so 1 might exist. If it were me, I would just go to home depot or lowes and buy 3 cheap timers. The ones that say aquarium on them are automatically marked up 300%

EDIT: Here is one that will work for 6 bucks...
http://www.lowes.com/pd_148297-207-T...mer&facetInfo=

And a digital one for $10 (so 3 of these will still be cheaper than the C Life 1).
http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Seven-Da...ht_1949wt_1263
Old 07-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I agree, there might be something out there that will do what you want but I'm sure it will be expensive. I'm with fort (again), buy 3 cheap timers from Walmart. If you have two things that need to be on at the same time you can get a dual outlet one. I found a nice dual outlet, digital timer at Harbor Freight (dollar store of hardware stores) for $10.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

LOL Yeah, I've noticed. We always get the raw end of the deal.'

The ones in home depot actually say on them Not For Aquarium Use. hehe

I'm currently using a dual timer for the 2 strips on my FW so thats nice and easy and my 125g reef only has 2 cords so I have 2 separate timers for each cord.

I'm befuddled about the 3rd light. I'm sure theres something out there. Need some hi tech reef folks to share how they have their lights setup, well, other than a controller but thats just crazy to get for lighting
Old 07-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

To answer the question in your title... no... they work left. Mine all go counter clockwise

We'll ignore the fact that you're asking, in particular, about a digital timer

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

As long as it is plugged into a GFCI circuit, it is safe to use with an aquarium light.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
To answer the question in your title... no... they work left. Mine all go counter clockwise

We'll ignore the fact that you're asking, in particular, about a digital timer

LOL

The ones I have so far have little notches you press in, I don't know if it would have to be digital or not. See, I'm just confused.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I edited my post above, and added another digital option from ebay to the list of choices.

Tags
light, timers

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com