Lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Makavelli02

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30g Hagen elite tank kit. I have replaced the filter and now have an aquaclear 50 and a aqeon 30 on it. My question is how to get better light. Can I just by a better bulb or do I need a whole new fixture?

I'm unfamiliar with that kit. What kind of lights and what wattages are the lights came with it? Usually you can't buy a higher watt bulb. Also, what are you wanting from your aquarium? Do you want a low tech, lower maintenance aquarium or a high tech, high maintenance aquarium? Once I et that info, I'll be able to help you more.

I just want to make the color on the fish stand out more. The light on it now is made by all glass aquariums. The fixture says 20 watt but the bulb says 17 watt

hagen doesnt make a 30 gallon elite. the biggest they make is a 25 gallon (elite 95) . in any case that system uses a single florecent tube . my suggestion other than replacing the entire lighting system is to buy a high kelvin light . currently your running a 4200k bulb which is just all around terrible. its no good for supporting anything.. its yellow as urine and all around just not attractive . many compnys make 7500k and 10k even the coralife 20ks that will fit your fixture .. at least give you a cooler light to bring out your fish colors.

read you reply... this^

I have a 250 watt ho t5 system with 4 1 watt LEDs and was wondering if it was enough for a 120 gallon tank that I am getting soon

If your not wanting a light for plants, but just for aesthetics, I would get a compact fluorescent hood with a 50/50 light (that is a 10k light and actinic light all in one. It gives off a crisp white light, similar to what a reef light would be. Just google it!). That would give you the light you want and it would also be one of the cheaper solutions. Your hood will probably be replaced completely by the new lights.

I have a 250 watt ho t5 system with 4 1 watt LEDs and was wondering if it was enough for a 120 gallon tank that I am getting soon

This is my 110 gal planted tank. I have 6x54w t5's with half 64k and half 10k over it. It is co2 injected and I dry dose ferts. Sorry about the pic quality, it was a cheesy camera. That has worked well for me, and I have been able to grow stargrass, hairgrass, and baby tears with it. If I can do my tank with what I have, your setup should be efficient enough.

img_1253051_0_bedb316717d6f345cfb411c9c974dd70.jpg

img_1253051_1_76bdb1bd273c6cb884c5a48ec01b8708.jpg

Back
Top Bottom