Lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex2123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
The question I have is that I'm probably going to buy a Aquaticlife T5 48" four bulb fixture. What corals can I keep with a 75 gallon tank? It's a total of 216 watts and 2.88 watts per gallon. Thank you in advance.

It would really only be 108watts of day light if you're running 2n2. I would agree with IDream, I would suggest starting with some softies. I would try mushrooms I have them growing even underneath rocks on the bottom of my tank.

If you really want to keep a variety of coral I would suggest you possibly go with a 6 bulb fixture or ultimately a t5 w/ hqi mh combo.

I'm kinda a cheapskate and a diy guy myself so I found a couple old core 250w mh ballast on craigslist for $100 on the pair and got bulbs, reflectors and mogul sockets for $130 at the Lfs. The core ballast are honestly about bullet proof as long as they don't get wet and you can find them used for cheap.

I switched from 4 48" vho to mh and and my coral growth tripled and the color of the coral to this day keeps getting better.

If you have a 75L would be better for florescent and a 75tall may result in lack of light in the lower half or third of the tank.

Mushrooms actually don't like a lot of light. So they are simple to keep. Any if the soft tree corals should be fine. Star polyps are also pretty easy.

I`m thinking Mushrooms, polyps and LPS corals. You could also do some moderate light SPS corals.

Back
Top Bottom