Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What Wpg would I need for clams I could also get a MH fixture just don't know where to start have been researching tho.

That light leaves you open to many different options as far as corals are concerned. You would be running 124 watts over 29 gallons giving you over 4 watts per gallon which is a good place to be for a reef tank. LPS, Soft Corals, and even SPS should do fine. A Corcea or Maxima Clam may be ok located high up in the tank, but you might want to look into a Derasa--they are a good first clam and not as delicate or light hungry as the previous.

Metal Halides are awesome, especially giving that great shimmer effect over the reef. The down side is that they generate a LOT of heat, which could really effect the temperature of a small body of water like a 29. Also, the cost and frequency of bulb replacement is much higher than T5's, as is the energy cost to run. You would also want to supplement the MH with Actinics to balance with light from the blue spectrum; making the tank more pleasing to the eye and allowing for dusk to dawn simulation.

Hope this helps.

I would look into LED REEF LIGHTS. I know there alot of money, but no bulb. Very little energy cost, and alot of lums. I have a 48", and a 36" in my 75Gal, and my corals are doing great. I also have two clams, and they have been doing better the last few months then before under 4HO T5's, and 2LO T5's. I had the LO T5's because of the heat problem. If i had to start over again such as lighting my tank from LED,T5, or MH, I would go with LED'S. :)

ENTER_NAME said:
I would look into LED REEF LIGHTS. I know there alot of money, but no bulb. Very little energy cost, and alot of lums. I have a 48", and a 36" in my 75Gal, and my corals are doing great. I also have two clams, and they have been doing better the last few months then before under 4HO T5's, and 2LO T5's. I had the LO T5's because of the heat problem. If i had to start over again such as lighting my tank from LED,T5, or MH, I would go with LED'S. :)

What led fixture do you have?

I have a 48" and a 36" marineland reef light on my 75Gal, and my corals due better under them, then my old 4HO T5, and 2LO T5. My marineland LED REEF lights togeather put out a total of 6,000 Lums. Better then MH's, and 6T5's. A 24" marineland reef light, would work on your 29Gal tank with about 1670 Lums. The cost is about $250.00 Well at WSA & PETS it was. This LFS, was cheaper then drsfosterandsmith, plus they have a nice SW area!! Great to walk in and buy!!

I've heard bad things about those marine land fixtures. How many power cords do they have? I heard they only had one so they cannot be put in a timer

I use one on my tank and use a timer, I love these lights, will never go back to florescent lights again.

They have had some LED's go out, and I know this because I work at WSA & PETS. But marineland has be replaceing everyone. I have replaced some that were 7-9 months old. And they only due have one wire yes. This is the only downfall, that's why I kept a HO T5 and put two blue bulds in it. Mine are all on timers the T5 turns on an hour before the LED REEF lights/ daylights then again an hour afterwards. Still I love the light the LED,s put out. And there much cheaper then other LED REEF lights on the market. They all do the same, just diffrent LEDS. Infact I had not had a problem with mine in 5 months, and I don't think I will.

slitherbomb said:
Are they able to sustain anemones and other light demanding coral?

Yes, they put out brilliant light, they don't run hot, they use less electricity, I don't like the florescent lights these days that have the ballasts built into the fixture, to me they go out to easy, my last one before going LED I had to replace bulbs about every six weeks, I won't ever go back, LED is the future of aquarium lights IMHO

Replace a flourescent bulb every 6 weeks?!--I replace every 6-9 months and never had a problem with built in ballasts on T5 or VHO fixtures.

If you go LED, go with atleast 3 watt per LED--Marineland is 1 watt per LED. There is a big difference between what you can get away with and what will give you the freedom to house various corals. You can not house clams, SPS, or moderate to high light corals under Marineland LED's for an extended length of time and expect good results. T5's and MH will allow you to do what you want.

Back
Top Bottom