Lighting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KonvictKeeper said:
I'd like to get some fancy lighting for my 55g. Any recommended fixtures? Trying to stay under $150. I like the Marineland LEDs.

Why not go with the Marineland DB LED? Sometimes you can find some good sales. I know MarineDepot was having a sale on them and other types.

Usually now don't quote me but from what I deal with at the firehouse, our LED flashlights and emergency lighting once a "LED pod" goes out that's it, done. They could last a lot longer though. Also it draws half the electrical load.

Tried a google search to see if they have replacement LED pods for that unit. I couldn't find anything.

Go to marineandreef.com

Click on the sale sign on the left. They have the marineland LED fixtures on sale this month.

I would recommend that you don't go with an LED fixture like the one from marine land because of not being able to easily replace the led pods if they were to go out sooner than there rated life span. LED tech is still relatively new to the aquarium hobby and is constantly changing. Try searching on line for a modular led fixture which means that the manufacture sells led replacement pods. I've read mixed reviews on the marineland led fixtures and one of the major complaints was that one or more led lights not working after a few weeks or a couple of months after purchase.

I bought both the double LED's and the Reef capable LED from Marineland... after only 4 1/2 months with the reef lights I came home to find the light really dim and touched the connection to the light from the adapter - it was SCREAMING HOT... actually had started melting the end of the light.
I also have an open brain coral and it never really did very well with that light.
I ended up replacing it with a T5 HO system and got mega bucks back for it on the return as well my coral is definitely looking better.
I just wouldn't trust LED's yet - they need more work.
ohh.. and btw - after 4 1/2 months - already 6 led's had stopped working.

Word to the wise.

Can't comment on that light.. sorry! I'm sure someone else here has some experience with it.

If after 4-5 months and your having that many problems with the marineland LED or any LED for that matter you SHOULD be able to get a replacement under warranty. I'm new to the fish hobby but LED's have been around for awhile in the emergency services and it's VERY unusual for a LED pod to go out an if it did it was replaced.

Just curious have you contacted marineland on that issue and the issue of the wire being hot and melting? The wire hot and melting to me means an electrical problem possible in the plug or receptacle itself. LED's draw such little power, that's why most all emergency vehicles are now outfitted with them, so the vehicles can run longer and not lose battery life while operating at a scene.

Even the flashlights in police,fire and EMS have switched to LED.

Point being,I would call them and explain. Check your amps coming out of the plug, maybe a faulty surge protector. No way a LED light that draws about 7 watts should heat up to the point of melting a wire. Did it come in contact with water? I believe it's 1 watt per light being 75 lumens per each pod. I would really call, shouldn't happen. I'd say a bad light from factory. It happens. I've gotten bad bulbs on my fire apparatus and have had them replaced for free.

The plug getting hot to touch and melting is making me think that maybe there was a power surge in the area or the house current was pulling strong in that one outlet.

Just thoughts and that's the fire chief in me.

Glad your ok and nothing serious happened.

Stay safe.

Actually, I"m in the theatre/entertainment industry and have quite a bit of experience with LED's - and yea, I've seen bulbs go out that are way under their life expectancy. Don't get me wrong - I love what they can do!

Believe me - I am on the LED bandwagon at work and in the industry as there are too many problems that they solve - don't have to use dimmers to control them, can colour blend with a control board, little heat generation and huge power savings.. (I sell them as part of my job..lol).

Actually.. it wasn't the wire that was melting - it was the end of the light where it pluged in. The hard plastic was melting there.

I appreciate your concern. I have a high tech power surge suppressor which is connected to my entertainment system (being in the industry.. it's pretty nice..lol). None of it's indicators were signalling a surge. Also, on that same outlet I have the internet router plugged in as well. (that's all though, the aquarium and the router... not overloading. lol).

Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to contact them - that was the first thing I thought of, but being after customer service closed on a Friday, and needing to replace the light immediately... my LFS was my only thought.

You're right though, I do need to contact them and share my story with them, but at the same time -they're going to get the story and figure ouf what happened when they get the light back from my LFS - and of course, it doesn't seem like as big a priority as it did then.

Thanks Convict... you too.

Back
Top Bottom