lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasonr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so im looking for a light fixture for my 30g long tank (36") pretty sure i am going to go with a t5 fixture with atleast 4 bulbs. heres my question. most of the ones i see are 2x 10k daylight, 2x actinic, and then some have the lunar leds. what is the difference between the actinic and the lunar led's? with fixtures like these, are you suppose to run all 4 bulbs during the day and the led's at night? kinda confused about this...

If its a lunar LED, its for a moonlighting effect, and produces insufficient lighting to support plant or coral growth. The idea is to run the actinics as sunrise/sunset and supplemental lighting throughout the day. The 10Ks are your full daylight, and the moonlights come on after all your other lights have gone off. You might want to give a brief period of complete darkness as well between the moonlights and sunrise/sunset period.

Your Lighting Question

Hello jason...

Proper lighting doesn't have to be "brain surgery". If you can get the total watts to 60 for your 30 G, then you'll be able to grow most aquatic plants.

IMO, a couple of 32 watt, 6500 K, T8s will give you good intensity and distribution. These are available at most hardware stores. GE makes an inexpensive aquarium / plant bulb. I've used them in my planted tanks since they came out and you really can't beat the price, about $10.00 per bulb.

Don't forget the other two pieces for a successful planted tank: You need to have a lot of fish in the tank or dose a good fert in dry, liquid or granules.

And, you need to be replacing a minimum of half the tank water every week. Flushing a lot of pure, treated water through your tank will replace minerals the fish and plants need for good health.

B

If its for corals go to fishneedit.com or aquatraders.com both have great t5ho lighting.

yea found one on aquatraders earlier today. 2x 10k 2x actinic and a couple moonlights also with a built in timer for all of them. whenever the time comes guess I will figure out a good lighting cycle.

Back
Top Bottom