Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josh1158

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's the difference between T5 aquirum light fixture and the shop light fixtures I can get at the hardware store for 1/4 the price

My understanding is that they are normal output for the cheapo ones. The fish ones are usually high output or very high output t 5 .

Shop light fixtures are usually T8, which is a different bulb diameter and ballast. T5's put out more light intensity than t8's, and likewise t5ho's more than t5's.

Shop lights also have very basic reflectors on them, usually just a flat white. A high quality plant light will have a mirror like reflector on it, which also results in a higher light intensity since it's being focused better.

Switching from a basic t8 dual shop light setup to even a cheap t5ho (only about double the price, $40-50) is a dramatic difference.

This is far less of an issue with a non planted tank, though, and in my non planted or low light tanks I run t8 shop lights rather than T5hos.

K im looking to replace my saltwater lights and I was just wondering. The one I was looking at is a good 400 bucks. I can't remember the brand but its 48 incher with 4 T5's in it. I would like to go with leds but it's about a grand. I was just hopeing I could save alittle cash. I have a gun hobby that likes to eat up my cash too

Just make sure that your T5 system is a T5HO system and not just T5. If you are planning a reef you`ll need the High output factor.

Back
Top Bottom