Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Fishandmusic81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 923
Hey! I went to walmart today bought the lights and they are absolutely great for the price thanks a lot for info again! I'll try to put a pic up when possible
__________________

__________________
Fishandmusic81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishandmusic81 View Post
Hey! I went to walmart today bought the lights and they are absolutely great for the price thanks a lot for info again! I'll try to put a pic up when possible
Lucky! I am glad you found something.
__________________

__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Fishandmusic81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 923
Thanks have you tried petco? They have slot when it comes to lighting
__________________
Fishandmusic81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishandmusic81 View Post
Thanks have you tried petco? They have slot when it comes to lighting
Yep. Nothing. My hunny-bug put my lighting together designing his own special deal...and the bulbs are too small. The smallest our Petco carries is 24".

I am just going to have to buy a new top...or somehow pry his light fixture set up off the hood. Not sure what I will do yet. I feel guilty tearing apart his work. He did it just for me and now I'm gonna destroy it
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Fishandmusic81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 923
Ah that is tough my gf would flip if I ever did something like that lol what gallon tank do you have btw?
__________________
Fishandmusic81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishandmusic81 View Post
Ah that is tough my gf would flip if I ever did something like that lol what gallon tank do you have btw?
LOL! He won't be happy...but what's a girl to do when the thing isn't working?
This tank I am working on is a 30 gallon. I also have a 5g, 20g, 75g, 88g and 180g. The two biggest ones are not set up yet. Not sure if the 180 will be ever. Hunny doesn't want to add more support to the floor.
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Fishandmusic81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 923
Lol well hopefully he'll understand
Oh I see that's a lot lol and yeah it definitely would make a difference with the weight
Hey I know it's off topic but do you have any experience with mystery snails?
__________________
Fishandmusic81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:33 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishEggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Posts: 2,211
has your brain fuse popped yet from the mass of info on lighting? my first run through it all had my brain going in swirls.
I have pretty much the same light fixture that Jetajockey linked and it is plenty of light for my plants. i have it on a 40g tall so same foot print as your 30 but taller. you would be able to grow medium-high light plants with that IMHO. If it is too much light you might be able to just use one bulb. depends on the ballast and wiring.
Just tell hubby that his creation was great to get you by for the little while and you love him for going through all that trouble for you but your plants need some more light and you didnt want to annoy him with more on the honey-do list.
If he cant accept that then distract him with a nice warm peach cobbler when ordering the new light fixture. LOL
LED lights are getting cheaper but it's hard to figure out sometimes what the light fixture is capable of since the cheaper fixtures don't have all the necessary info posted.
Let me know if you dont want to have an empty 180g tank sitting around. i can take care of that for ya
__________________
~Matt~
If you put off what you can do today until tomorrow it will never get done cause tomorrow never comes. It's always today.
FishEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishandmusic81 View Post
Lol well hopefully he'll understand
Oh I see that's a lot lol and yeah it definitely would make a difference with the weight
Hey I know it's off topic but do you have any experience with mystery snails?
I think I am going to re-enforce the floor myself A person can learn how to do pretty much anything using google, e-how and youtube! I am sure he might feel very insecure about me doing it so I probably wouldn't get far without him taking the task LOL! He hates it when I touch his tools Goof ball! I grew up on a ranch so I'm not as whimpy as he thinks I am! I also did a bit of work as a teenager tearing down sections of homes for remodel! I do believe I could re-enforce the floor just fine

I don't have a lot of knowledge about mystery snails but I do have a few tiny ones...they road in on the plants from the LFS.
__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEggs View Post
has your brain fuse popped yet from the mass of info on lighting? my first run through it all had my brain going in swirls.
I have pretty much the same light fixture that Jetajockey linked and it is plenty of light for my plants. i have it on a 40g tall so same foot print as your 30 but taller. you would be able to grow medium-high light plants with that IMHO. If it is too much light you might be able to just use one bulb. depends on the ballast and wiring.
Just tell hubby that his creation was great to get you by for the little while and you love him for going through all that trouble for you but your plants need some more light and you didnt want to annoy him with more on the honey-do list.
If he cant accept that then distract him with a nice warm peach cobbler when ordering the new light fixture. LOL
LED lights are getting cheaper but it's hard to figure out sometimes what the light fixture is capable of since the cheaper fixtures don't have all the necessary info posted.
Let me know if you dont want to have an empty 180g tank sitting around. i can take care of that for ya
Oh my gosh! Brain totally short circuited! LOL! Lights, Filters, Action!
Thanks for your input. I appreciate others experiences. It really sets a foundation when someone is offering info based off their own experiences. I am waiting for those lights...I decided to just go with them for the 30 gallon because I really have gotten my self in a confused tangled mess looking at different lighting. Figured it's best just to go with the light link that was right in front of me.
This 180 gallon tank is gorgeous! I can't wait until it does get set up. Going to put it in the foyer. Really it's the only place it'd fit!!! I will "die and go to heaven" when it is all finished (hope that doesn't offend anyone...not intended to)
Far as the peach cobbler! That is his FAVORITE desert! I am soooo gonna bake one for him! Great idea...hook, line, sinker!
__________________

__________________
I am so happy I joined Aquarium Advice! I have met some awesome people here!
Lovin Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light, lighting, low light, low-tech, planted aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Better lighting for live plants with Marineland Eclipse 3 Hood, is it possible? Elaystone Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 2 03-21-2012 07:16 PM
Suggesting on LED Lighting for a 125 future reef tank Brian B Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 5 03-02-2012 05:25 AM
lighting problems stone1269 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 5 02-29-2012 12:37 AM
Lighting-or why we do what we do.... debisbooked Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 29 02-29-2012 12:32 AM
Wanted: T5 or other Marine lighting jumbaaa Archive 0 02-28-2012 02:57 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.