Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lighting

Which aquarium lights offer good lighting for a low-tech planted tank while maintaining a low(er) power bill?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
come get me tang police!

If the power bill is the biggest concern, then I'd definitely look into LED's. I don't have a lot of experience with them as far as planted tanks go, but their power consumption is hard to compete with.

If LED's aren't a viable option, the next route I'd go with on a smaller (<29g) tank is screw in CFLs.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
If the power bill is the biggest concern, then I'd definitely look into LED's. I don't have a lot of experience with them as far as planted tanks go, but their power consumption is hard to compete with.

If LED's aren't a viable option, the next route I'd go with on a smaller (<29g) tank is screw in CFLs.
Okay Thanks! I will look into the LED's. When I told my husband we needed at least 5000K he said "I don't think so! Our power bill is high enough!" We live in Alaska and our monthly power bill is on average $400. IOt's ridiculous! When we paid our latest bill, the company said qoute: We are at our peak rates :end qoute.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
come get me tang police!

Just to clarify, 5000k is a kelvin rating. Kelvin is basically a rating of light color, not light intensity. That means that a 2500k bulb and a 10000k bulb are using the same amount of energy, they just have different colors.

This is a long read, but it breaks it all down.

Aquarium Lighting; Reef, Planted Light Information. PAR, Bulb, Watt, Kelvin, Nanometers, MH, LED.

I like using the bulbs around 6700k (daylight) range, full spectrum for my planted tanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Similiar issue

I have one of those 10 gallon starter tanks the hood has the option to put two screw on bulbs I have normal aquarium bulbs from the lfs and try have a yellow ish tint to it having live plants I want the lights to give off a pure white glow with no yellow ish tint does anybody know how to fix this without having to buy a new hood?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Actually the picture on my profile is the tank like 3 weeks ago and that's the yellowish tint I'm trying to get rid of and get a pure white light
Old 02-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Just to clarify, 5000k is a kelvin rating. Kelvin is basically a rating of light color, not light intensity. That means that a 2500k bulb and a 10000k bulb are using the same amount of energy, they just have different colors.

This is a long read, but it breaks it all down.

Aquarium Lighting; Reef, Planted Light Information. PAR, Bulb, Watt, Kelvin, Nanometers, MH, LED.

I like using the bulbs around 6700k (daylight) range, full spectrum for my planted tanks.
Oh really? Gosh...see I read that read you linked me too and took notes even. But when I told my husband what I had learned he said "don't believe everything you read" and I never mentioned it again. I figured he knew what he was talking about since he has always handled the lighting in our house and is always reading up on stuff. Sounds like he might need to read a little more about lighting He's so stubborn though. I might not be able to get him to even hear me about the meaning of kelvin rating.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishandmusic81 View Post
Actually the picture on my profile is the tank like 3 weeks ago and that's the yellowish tint I'm trying to get rid of and get a pure white light
The yellowish tint is a lower kelvin rating on the bulb. Shoot for a daylight bulb (~6500k) for a brighter white, or 10000k for an operating room type white. Any higher than that and it'll start looking more and more blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish View Post
Oh really? Gosh...see I read that read you linked me too and took notes even. But when I told my husband what I had learned he said "don't believe everything you read" and I never mentioned it again. I figured he knew what he was talking about since he has always handled the lighting in our house and is always reading up on stuff. Sounds like he might need to read a little more about lighting He's so stubborn though. I might not be able to get him to even hear me about the meaning of kelvin rating.
Hope you figure out how to get it across to him, maybe he just has to 'stumble' on it himself. I know I can be stubborn sometimes myself, so a well timed and well placed article could work wonders.

I know what you mean about the power bill, ours is pretty high here also, for the opposite reason.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks the Kelvin thing really makes everything easier to understand hopefully they will sell the proper bulb at my lfs but say they don't have anything at that k could I buy a bulb from a place such as walmart with the a higher k?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
come get me tang police!

I get mine from home depot, but walmart does sell them as well. My local walmart fish section actually has replacement bulbs in the fish section if your hood bulb area is too narrow to fit in a spiral CFL.

This is the one I was thinking of.
Walmart.com: Lights Of America 10 Watt Mini Fluorescent Aquarium Bulb, 1ct: Fish

Tags
light, lighting, low light, low-tech, planted aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com