Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can someone explain lighting to me? I've tried to figure it out and can't seem to get it. I tried asking my lfs and he just brushed me off for another customer.
I have a 15gal, the only tank that doesn't have a plant light and barely grows algae. I am looking for a plant light and I know my options are rather low for planting.
The highest wattage I found was 15 for an 18" light, that's what I have in most of my tanks and works great. But I look at aqueons lights they have three different types of light all at 15watts. Enhanced color, Plant growth, and full spectrum daylight. Wouldn't all of them be the same at growing plants? They are all 15watts, different prices, so what's the difference?
Thank you much for you help. :)
Kayla

From what I understand, different spectrums are for different purposes. For planting purposes, you would want something that is closest to 6500k. 6500k emits lighting that somewhat resembles the light provided by the sun to properly allow the plants to preform photosynthesis. The general rule of thumb is to have 1-2watts of light for your tank if you are looking to grow plants.

Higher spectrum such as 10,000k emits a really bright color that will bring out the color of your tank but will not help the plants.

Cornstar said:
From what I understand, different spectrums are for different purposes. For planting purposes, you would want something that is closest to 6500k. 6500k emits lighting that somewhat resembles the light provided by the sun to properly allow the plants to preform photosynthesis. The general rule of thumb is to have 1-2watts of light for your tank if you are looking to grow plants.

Higher spectrum such as 10,000k emits a really bright color that will bring out the color of your tank but will not help the plants.

Ok I think I understand that, maybe....kinda like the richer the light better for plants? And two lights are better than one? Maybe that is why my 10gal does so well because it has two small plant lights? I don't know what the "k" stands for either... :(
Sorry I am a complete newbie to lighting besides reading the boxes.
It has no where on the boxes saying how may ks the light produces, I have also looked a different brands and they say nothing, just the wattage.

I'll read it in the morning as I have tried it right now and got very lost. Lol

Yes, it's really for light junkies, I guess! Way down at the bottom of the article, though, are a few tips for simple tank lighting, if I recall correctly. Good luck! I wanted to put just a few low-light plants in my tank so asked for advice on this forum. I was told by a knowledgeable person that the lighting I have, which is the lighting kit from a 55 gallon kit, is not enough of the right light for what I wanted. I was told that my currently lighting might support java fern or anubias (2 easy to grow, low light plants) but nothing else. I was surprised to learn that I can't just simply replace the bulbs in there with something better. It can only be replaced with what is already in there right now! I was referred to a website that had an economical lighting setup that would be better, but I really don't want to go that route right now. T5 HO lighting was suggested; the setup cost about $80 which is pretty cheap. Right now I'm just trying out a java fern to see if that will survive!

Back
Top Bottom