Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lighting

I am turning my tank to a planted tank and I know people suggest 7000k over 10000k, why is this? And I was thinking of the ray 2 or marineland LED, does anyone have these? Would like to know your input as well

Old 04-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Or how about the fugeray?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by giffmastaflex View Post
I am turning my tank to a planted tank and I know people suggest 7000k over 10000k, why is this? And I was thinking of the ray 2 or marineland LED, does anyone have these? Would like to know your input as well
The 7000K refers to the color temperature of the light .... around 6500K is the color temp of white light and a good range for photosynthesis so 7000K's fine for plants.

What size tank and what plants are you looking to go with? You'll get much more accurate advice with that info.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by giffmastaflex View Post
Hello giff...

If you want to stay inexpensive and low tech, then florescent bulbs will work well. I have 2 6500K, 32 watt, T8 bulbs over my tanks. 6500K is supposed to be closest to natural daylight at 5500K. GE makes an aquarium plant bulb you can get at the hardware store for a few dollars each. There are quite a few aquatic plants that will thrive in low to moderate light. LED lighting is quite a bit more expensive and I don't think it's needed for the less demanding plants. But, this is just my opinion.

B
Old 04-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I'm looking for energy efficient as well and t5 and t8 will draw too much and I have a 55 and soon a 40 gallon breeder and I'm looking at some hair grass, java fern, water Lilly, water onion, maybe some moss balls/ moss, I saw a great pic of another member on here and I would like to do something like it. (Pic below)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-865933476.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	169569

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-29990439.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	169570

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com