Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andreasmith

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have aquatic life ho t-5 fixtures for my 55 gallon tank. I'm told they are not what I need. I have a coral that is bleaching that should be full light but continues to bleach even in shade.
What are some suggestions on good lights to get??

Depends on how high your light from water surface, how many tubes, What is the Kelvin temp (like 6500 k or 12000 k) . What kind of corals and how far your corals from water surface. Usually bleaching occurs when you have excessive light for corals.

Depends on how high your light from water surface, how many tubes, What is the Kelvin temp (like 6500 k or 12000 k) . What kind of corals and how far your corals from water surface. Usually bleaching occurs when you have excessive light for corals.

Light is 6 inches from top. Temp is 79 degrees. Mushrooms, Duncan, star polyps, carnations, 2 montipora corals, moved one that was bleaching. Other still bleaching. Both montipora corals are at the bottom. Also just lost a bubble coral that was at the bottom

I doubt the lighting would cause that. Good LEDs that won't cost a arm and leg reef breeders or taotronics. The thread best bang for your buck is loaded with info. I have the reef breeders on two tanks and love them. Check your alkalinity and calcium.

It seems you still need to know the requirements for your corals. Montepora needs to have high intensity light with lots of water current and should not be at the bottom. Mushrooms do not need much light. The problem could be a combination of lighting and your water parameter. BTA are sensitive to water parameter and needs more light. May be its the reason it did not make it. Can you post your water paremeter?

Seems to me that you want to learn and asked about lighting. I posted two popular brands and check your alk and cal level to start. If you have a trusted lfs talk to them maybe bring in a sample of water. We ALL went thru this at some point.

It seems you still need to know the requirements for your corals. Montepora needs to have high intensity light with lots of water current and should not be at the bottom. Mushrooms do not need much light. The problem could be a combination of lighting and your water parameter. BTA are sensitive to water parameter and needs more light. May be its the reason it did not make it. Can you post your water paremeter?

Calcium 540
Carbonate 161.1ppm
Ph 8
Phosphates 0
Nitrates 5
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0

I do not add any calcium but add strontium and molybdenum and essential elements

Water parameter is not that bad. You need a better light. Im sure everyone would recommend the Taotronics which is a good price. Just make sure not to shock your corals with sudden high intensity light by following proper lighting acclimation. You need 2 of this.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092LXQRM

Okay! Here goes nothing. Purchased today. Will find out soon if this helps!!

Back
Top Bottom