Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrapeApe

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the best lighting option for my 90 gallon sw to grow all types of coral

I have two of the eBay dimmable led panels over my 90. Grows everything but the kitchen sink.

I have a 90 gallon as well. I'm running 4x24" T5 (Nova Extreme) and 4 LED Stunner Strips (equivelent of about 300w total) and am successfully growing LPS (torch/hammer/frogspawn) & SPS (birdsnest). I do not think it would be enough for Acro though.

I'm using aqua illuminations hydra's they aren't cheep but everything seems to be doing okay. I'm having slight issues with % but I'm playing with it. My zoas are going nuts.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use a quad t5 ho light I was wiondering what could I add to it to grow corals

I don't know I just know that you need to research PAR levels to really get an understanding. There are a lot of help full people here that can help you I'm not one yet. I took the easy more expensive way out with my lighting but we'll worth it.

You could either add more bulbs or switch them out for two of those eBay units which would grow anything

These http://bit.ly/1obUiHu

They were $10 cheaper a few days ago. But this seller changes prices regularly. You can get them now which is still inexpensive (less than I paid) or wait a few weeks till the price drops again.

You can search eBay for dimmable led for other options. You are looking for 120 and 165 watt fixtures. Each fixture is good for a 24"x24" area of your tank.

If I add 2 more t5 ho would that be able to grow a lot more coral. Or add a led light like this. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393448237.138824.jpg

No don't buy the orbit! Very low wattage led's I have a 36-48 orbit I just replaced if you want one! Your looking at big Al's so your in canada! For the cost of the eBay ones they have so much more wattage

Yeah I had the orbit to it won't work for what you want.

Okay so what wattage am I looking for? So 2 more t5 ho won't help?

Look into PAR levels that's the deal breaker so I've been learned here. Research aquarium lighting on line. There are multiple types of lighting all with benifits and draw backs but you gotta do some homework.

The eBay LEDs would be a better investment than additional t5 fixture(s) IMO. Less power usage(smaller elec bill) and no need to replace bulbs(adds up quick).

dont bother adding to your existing light setup. it just complicates it, adds more equipment to possibly fail, and its not efficient. just buy 2 120w dimmable led panels and be done with it. itll cost you prob somewhere between $250-$350 to your door.

That's the unit I believe I mentioned earlier. You would prob be able to grow and sustain low-mid light corals, but that's about it. It only puts out roughly 42w of power, covering a 4 ft tank with that isn't going to give you much power.

And yes I'm in canada I just don't want to spend 50$ for shipping off eBay

Back
Top Bottom