Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Lighting

There are so many different articles and opinions out there that suggests this light is better because this, or that, but I can't find anything that will tell you what you NEED. So here's what I need: I have a 25g hex tank, (so it's deep, not long) with a mushroom, 1Royal Gramma, 1 Tailspot Blenny, and 3 Hermit crabs; I would like to get a lot more color (coral) in there and I know lighting is a big deal. I have a $60 Marineland white/blue LED that took a swim and now the blue doesn't work, guess it's time for an upgrade; but to what? I could really use some help because I don't even know where to start...

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 05-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Taotronics panel on eBay. Prices are extremely good right now on them. Full spectrum tablets going for about $100. They'll allow you to keep whatever. Just go to eBay and type in "Reef Led" or something to that extent and they will come up.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Are you sure it's a 25 gallon? I can only find info (dimensions) of a 20 hex, and a 27. Both of those are 18" across, so I'm assuming yours is as well. What do you want to spend for lighting? The first thing that comes to mind is one of those Kessil pendants. The A350 maybe.
A cheaper option would be one of these-
New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Light Black Shell | eBay
Old 05-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1. On the Kessils if you have the money.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

...and here's another that's "full spectrum", as Macscale suggested. Any of the three will allow you to keep whatever you want in terms of photosynthetic creatures-
Dimmable 165W LED Aquarium Light Kit Free Hanger Full Spectrum Reef Coral Grow | eBay
Old 05-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

One more thing I'd like to mention- Flow will be hard to achieve in a tank like this. It's definitely going to be a challenge to keep a healthy reef with more sensitive corals.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
One more thing I'd like to mention- Flow will be hard to achieve in a tank like this. It's definitely going to be a challenge to keep a healthy reef with more sensitive corals.

Hmm.. This is very true. I'm not sure how you'd achieve the correct amount of flow.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Friend of mine made a flow system of sorts for a set up he was having trouble getting flow where he wanted. Had to empty the tank to do it though. He basically created "flow outlets" in various parts of the tank using 3/4" pvc, ran it under substrate, and had it coming out under rock piles where he wanted it. Controlled the flow with gate valves off a manifold he made underneath. Took much less time than it sounded like, but he had it all planned out before cutting the first piece of plumbing.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm sure it's 25g, I can't find it on the internet either. I've been looking for a hood bc mine broke and that's why the light took a dive, no cover. I will definitely look into the web sites listed, thanks all for the input. Also, thanks Redwolf, I'll definitely look into that as well. Though I fear I'll be scrapping this tank and be moving to larger scale shortly. 😉

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'd do the kessil a360w pendant. Great light.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com