Lighting ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cake fan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10gal tank with 2x 25w incandescent bulb fixtures (AGA).

I would like to put in a plant or two and I understand that java plants/moss do not need lots of light but would 50w of incandescent be ok?

If not could I purchase Coralife's MINI 20 Watt [ColorMax] Compact Fluorescent (or 10watt) and screw that into the incandescent sockets? Are they interchangeable?

I'd rather stick with the correct bulb for the fixture if at all possible.

Incandescent bulbs will not do a thing at all for plants, and yes, you can use "pigtail" fluorescents for these fixtures. I have a 10 gal tank set up like that. I don't know what the K rating is for those bulbs, but I know you can get an All-Glass one that is 6500K. I also think you can get 6500K bulbs at Walmart.

well, the incandescents aren't totally useless to plants, but they really don't put out enuf lumens per watt to work well. You'd be far better off using any 2 screw-in power compacts that have a U-shaped bulb (don't get the spirals).

If possible, paint the hood white as well to maximize reflection. FWIW spiral cfl screw-ins at way too high wattage (2*23w over 8g) did alright for me, with assumption of much loss with restrike and reflection. I've also experienced decent growth with anacharis, hornwort, and java moss under plant-gro and "natural light" incandescent with floor and desk lamps. These are all stopgaps to doing it right (straight bulb flourescents, proper ballast and reflector - ahsupply.com) and playing with variables, but if you're the experimenting type...

(I've finally decided to do it right, and wonder why I didn't earlier)

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom