Lighting!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WillMurf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I prefer not to turn my fluros off at night because my fish are better behaved. I have been told however that my fish won't grow if i continue doing this. Is there any truth to this? ( or any other problems ) I haven't lost a fish for 12 months bar 1 to old age.

Hmmm, you leave your lights on all the time? 8O

What do you mean by better behaved?

Algae probs? Do you have plants to shade the fish?

Your fish will probably develope poor eye sight :rofl:

Fish are not photosynthetic animals :)

Therefore, there is no truth to this statement. If anything, the fish will become more stressed due to the lack of a nocturnal period, so they can "rest". Fish do sleep, you know. :)

I misread your original post. Light itself won't speed up or inhibit your fish's growth, but not giving your fish a period to rest isn't good. It can cause algae problems in your tank mainly, and cause stress. Think of your tank like a mini habitat for your fish. Best to stimulate the most natural conditions as possible, and thus a daytime and nightime.

I have a few nocturnal fish like the eel and eel-tail cat that hunt when I turn the light off. Last time I did I lost a few neons and a white cloud or two. I have no probs with algae and I've been doing this for almost a year now. Visually there are no probs with my tank, all my fish are healthy and my plants flourish, also, I don't clean my tank at all except for the magnet glass cleaner on occasions, is this normal I don't really now anyone else with fish and my LPS is pathetic, I order my fish privately.

natural behavior.. your tankmates are just incompatible.. I suggest you adjust your stock to avoid this.. and turning the lights out so your fish can rest..

Back
Top Bottom