Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, I have a 120 gal tank and got a lighting hood when I purchased the tank, I don't know the brand of the hood but its a MH with PC's and moonlights. I don't know how old it is but my MH lights arent working anymore. It looks like the bulp is faintly lit but will not fully fire. I tested the sockets and if i remember correctly, they were around 215 volts. Im guessing the ballasts arent working correctly. Question is, do I replace both ballasts, get all new bulbs and hope it works well or just suck it up and buy a new fixture.

The tank is 66 inches long and 20 inches deep. I was looking at this model http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12113&N=2004+113352. Would the 48'' strip work? I would eventually like to have some corals in the tank.

Currently the tank only has one of the actinic lights working, its been this way for a couple weeks and I want to get light in there asap. Any other lighting suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

IMO it would be more economical to just replace the bulbs and ballasts. You can get replacements from many different lighting supply stores. The hood should have a label of some sort depicting the maker (unless gone over time). If you are not mechanically inclined and would rather just buy a new hood, then the one in Dr Foster would work well.

It almost looks like the hood was put together as a kit. I would have no problem replacing everything but I also like the idea of having a new hood that is much thinner and could be hung above the tank. The one I have now is big and sits on top of the tank. I have to move it every time I feed or maintain the tank. So, getting a new one wouldn't be a total loss. So, the Dr. foster 48" would be plenty of light right?

if it were me, I would buy the new one. I have heard nothing but good things about the coralife but i would shop around on different sites to look for a better price. Its hard to dr foster and smith though.

Back
Top Bottom