Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lighting a 120 gallon LONG 5ft tank!

I only have a $200 dollar limit! I am buying a light Friday and this is what I was looking at. I am not doing corals or anything, but I saw some 55 gallon tanks light up with the 48in version of this light and it seems to do what I would want in terms of how bright I want my tank. What are your thoughts?

T5 Quad 60" Timer Aquarium Light Marine Coral Reef Cichlid LED 320W Odyssea | eBay

I like the blue LED's for a night time effect for about an hour before full shut off.

I am also adding a 48in LED lighting system I already have. So both lights will be running, with the 48in turning on and off with a normal timer. Do you think this combination will give me the desired brightness I am looking for? This is my tank right now with the LED lighting system I will install on the 120 gallon as well.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...cture65029.jpg

P.S. I know I got a yellow tang in a 55 and a yellow eye tang and a Lunar Wrasse. That is why I am upgrading to the 120 long! It's all I can afford and it will get them out of the cramp space into something bigger and healthier for them!

Old 01-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

For a FOWLR tank this should work just fine. It won't do much for coral, especially since the bulbs are individually reflected.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

T5 will need new bulbs here and there led will never need replacing but I have had 2 marineland LED 250$ each break down now only half the lights work on 1 and the other one doesn't even turn on and I'm stuck with it so I say T5 for sure at least if something happens it can be replaced
Old 01-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Good quality LED units are far superior both to lifespan and PAR output of T5s. LEDs do have to be replaced though. Most are rated in the 10-20,000 hour range so they last a long time.

If an LED unit breaks down it can often be an easy fix to get them going again. Something like a faulty potentiometer or blown power supply can cause the issue.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I went ahead and got this light.

T5 Quad 60" Timer Aquarium Light Marine Coral Reef Cichlid LED 320W Odyssea | eBay

It's more than enough and I honestly can't believe I was worried. This light had solved all my problems, and according to some it will grow some coral if I choose to down the road. It will not grow coral that need a high output light, but it will grow some soft coral that just needs basic lighting.

The only reason I didn't go with LED's is because I don't know which ones to get. I asked for suggestions, but no one listed any. :-p

Tags
120 gallon, 20 gallon, gallon, light, lighting, long, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com