Lighting a 90 gallon corner reef tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerm0007

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was hoping to get some suggestions on the best way to light a 90 gallon corner tank. The odd shape makes most light fixtures difficult to use. Any suggestions?

Since you have no replies I'll say this and I might be wrong but I believe the halides penetrate water deeper (im assuming its a deep tank since its a 90 corner) also the halides hang so you woudnt have to worry about fitting it.

I was thinking the same, either a large one with some T5s in a triangle around it or 3 smaller MH pendants. Kind of hard to put T5s on a tank with such and odd shape.

If you're into DIY and LEDs ask Ziggy953 on here about his pendant he made for a 54-55G corner tank

Lighting

I too have a 90gal pentagon shaped - what are your dimensions?
If you have a canopy like I do then here is what I put:

(2) 36" t5 in the front
(2) 24" t5 in the rear
(2) strands of led lighting weaving inbetween each T5...

The lighting is intense - doesn't feel hot like halides and the bulbs are small so I have room under my canopy

I too have a 90gal pentagon shaped - what are your dimensions?
If you have a canopy like I do then here is what I put:

(2) 36" t5 in the front
(2) 24" t5 in the rear
(2) strands of led lighting weaving inbetween each T5...

The lighting is intense - doesn't feel hot like halides and the bulbs are small so I have room under my canopy

I would love to see a pic of that setup. My LFS has been trying to unload a 75 gallon corner tank for several years and is willing to sell it at cost at this point, but lighting is an issue as it comes with one 2 T5 HO tubes but that's just enough for freshwater and no where near enough for SW.

Roadster's idea is actually very good, if you're feeling generous get 4-bulb fixtures for some nice light.

look into Sunlight Supply Tek fixtures for great quality, and fishneedit.com for good prices and good quality.

I'm thinking you'll have to hang them or retrofit inside the canopy because they'll be at an angle and the legs don't work that way.

I was hoping to get some suggestions on the best way to light a 90 gallon corner tank. The odd shape makes most light fixtures difficult to use. Any suggestions?

Take a look at this light.

AquaticLife 36" T5 HO 6 Lamp Fixture with Lunar Lights Aquatic Life T5

I also have a 90 corner and this light works very well. I has sliding adjustable legs which makes it easy to fit the shape of the tank. The light is sturdy, solid and well made. It also has individual timers for each set of light.

Back
Top Bottom