Lighting add-on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone. I currently have a Wavepoint 48" 4 bulb, T5 HO system, however it doesn't have a timer or 2 switches, so the day lights and actinics are both either on or off... Is there an add on I can put, maybe a 1 bulb strip actinic to give it a little bit of a phase? I will obviously put it on a separate timer, just don't want to replace my whole light fixture... I would imagine there's gotta be something out there! :cool:

Marineland has the new strip accent lighting led that is water resistant so it can be mouted on the back under the trim I think which could give you a dawn/dusk feel maybe

Hey MRC! Thanks, but I actually already have that hooked up :cool: its awesome, just works as a moonlight... I want something that will give a dusk/dawn effect. Like an add on actinic fixture? Check out the post I put up regarding moonlight shots, that's what the Marineland looks like :cool:

Also, another question would be if there is a mod I can do with this light to put the lights on different switches??

Some light systems have their daylights and actinics on separate switches... You can have them on different timers and have the actinics come on an hour or so before the daylights, and then have them stay on an hour or so later. That way the actinics come on first (dawn) and stay on after the daylights (dusk). My lights are on the same switch so either all on or all off...

Ahhhh...I understand, as are mine! So as I brainstorm, if I could come up with an affordable lighting system that had different light spectrums and intensity so as to be programmed based on the needs of the aquarium, and the ability to set different light intensity at different times i.e. dawn, noon, dusk, as to mimic the actual light in the natural habitat, I could make some money! LOL!

That probably made no sense written out but in my head it did! Sorry! Just think it would be cool to be able to buy one light with multiple capabilities.

Nah Nikki you're good ;) They do make lights that have the capabilities, I just don't know how in depth. I just need to add like an LED strip with 8k lighting, or some sort of single bulb actinic to add on that's really slim, and I'll put it on a separate timer. I just want to find one that isn't a couple hundred dollars...

UPDATE... Question. I want to get a LED add on and put it on a timer to get a dusk/dawn effect... Will a 460nm blue/ 10k strip be too much lighting for that? I'm afraid doing the same LED strip in only blue will be more of a moonlight, which I already have... but is the 10k plus 460 nm blue going to give a dusk/dawn effect? Maybe people who have phasing can tell me what lights they have on during dusk/dawn times? Thanks :cool:

So I think I found an inexpensive option. Coralife has a 2 bulb, 48" light that I can get for $65 from a LFS. It comes with a 10k and a 460 blue. What if I switched the 10k with another 460 and put it on a separate timer for dusk/dawn? I'll have the room for this light as a second fixture when I upgrade to a 75 in 2 weeks...

Back
Top Bottom