Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lighting Advice

My 55 gallon reef is up and running....waiting a couple months to add the corals. I need a new light....I'm looking at T5's but need advice. There are literally hundreds of options out there....I am planning on hard and soft corals etc. Question is....what's a good light option that is reasonably priced. I see a fixture on EBay that has 4 bulbs and also 4 LED clusters for night lighting for $130 which sounds like a great deal but.....we all know that's not always the case.

HELP?

Kevin

55 Gallon Freshwater - African Cichlids
KLehman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
if you want to keep sps/clams/anemones, i would suggest a 6 lamp fixture that has individual reflectors per bulb. whatever fixture you choose, make sure it is UL listed. you are also going to want to change out the lamps for high end bulbs like giesemann or ATI. these lamps have the highest PAR and best color available.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
if you want to keep sps/clams/anemones, i would suggest a 6 lamp fixture that has individual reflectors per bulb. whatever fixture you choose, make sure it is UL listed. you are also going to want to change out the lamps for high end bulbs like giesemann or ATI. these lamps have the highest PAR and best color available.
can you get those type of bulbs in cf ??
Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

no. and i would not keep sps under power compacts anyway. they do not penetrate the water like individually reflected, high output, T5s do.
if you wanted sps, you don't want power compact lighting. you'll end up with a bunch of brown sticks at best.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
no. and i would not keep sps under power compacts anyway. they do not penetrate the water like individually reflected, high output, T5s do.
if you wanted sps, you don't want power compact lighting. you'll end up with a bunch of brown sticks at best.
Does that include the CPF 55w kits from www.ahsupply.com?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

most likely. there is no mention of PAR on that website, and you need to have an apparatus over your tank that's 4" wide to house just one 55 watt lamp. if you were using T5 lamps, you could get 36 watts in approximately 4" and much better color than cf. also, the replacement cost with cf v.s. T5 is another reason not to use them.
i haven't tried one of their reflectors over a cf bulb, but if i recall correctly, before high output T5s there was only metal halide and T12 VHO lighting when a successful sps tank was the goal. i don't think i've ever met/read of anyone who used power compacts and had beautifully colored sps.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com